1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Aiptasia x

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by carlowchris, Aug 3, 2017.

1. carlowchris

carlowchris Registered

There no mention of a skimmer in the instructions....does any body know when using aiptasia x....do I turn off the skimmer?????or crank it up to a wet skim after using????do I stick in carbon afterwards????

It says it's reef safe but posion and dying aiptasia can't be good for the tank????can it???

2. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

No need to do owt special when using aip x....it's bad for aiptasia (eventually) but should not effect other occupants (if used in moderation). Key thing is to get flow to zero (turn off powerheads, etc.).

Use sufficient to give a coating all over it (effectively smothering it and making it ingest it), then wait for it to implode (boom :dance: the aip has gone). If they withdraw as you squirt, then you may have to go at it again after a day or so.

Is always handy to have a couple of true peppermint shrimp as cuc, just in case they get a taste for aips (mine did....eventually) :w00t:

3. penzo

penzo Registered

I wait until the aip has closed around the end of the syringe then zap them.power heads turned off.

4. livingjewels

livingjewels Registered

Aip x sometimes does more harm than good..

As soon as they feel threatened and you agitate them you'll be greeted with 5 new ones.

It doesn't always do a good job ..

doug_amanda likes this.
  5. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

As above,,
    Whenever I've used it I've just ended up with more of the little buggers,, Filefish did it for me, scoffed the lot, haven't seen an aip in the tank for over 3 years.

6. 372xp

372xp Registered

I think it's pretty Mg heavy. I've covered zoanthids with the stuff and still couldn't kill them. What I have noticed is it loses potency over time, but the biggest cause of an outbreak (or any other outbreak) is inaction. Better to do something than nothing. Don't touch the skimmer.

7. livingjewels

livingjewels Registered

I had some whoppers in my last tank size of 50p pieces..

When I squirted aip x on them they just sulked for about 3 days; then popped up again with about 5 new ones .

Kalk is better it melts them instantly..

Or better still a wet vac connected to a rubber pump hose..Just line it up then switch it on.. sucks it right out..

8. dean

dean Registered

peppermint shrimp all the way put 3 in my tank and th aiptasia is all gone and I tried every thing to get rid of the aiptasia

9. damo666

damo666 Registered

Only had one to get rid of. Hypodermic needle and lemon juice sorted that one, first time as well. Although I decided to get rid, it was only after reading negative stuff about them on here. I noticed it shortly after setting up at Christmas, didn't spot another one and never worried coz I didn't know what it was. So, how much of a nuisance are they?

10. 372xp

372xp Registered

They spread like a plague. They are anemones, so they sting and large ones can take down fish. They are also kinda ugly.

doug_amanda and damo666 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice