1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Aiptasia + Peppermint Shrimps!

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by afeltham, Sep 18, 2018.

1. afeltham

afeltham Registered

Hi,

So, i've got aiptasia. I had it before and got rid of it with a bunch of peppermint shrimps. Unfortunately i had a bit of tank crash and lost the shrimps. Unfortunately that also meant that i got the aiptasia back! Boo!

Back to the LFS i went and got some more ( after sorting my problems ) but it seems i have two that are so small they seemed scared by the tank! I can just about see one of them hiding in a place in the rock but i've never seen either of them out in the tank!

Can anyone think of a way that i can encourage them out? I can't really scare them out of the hole that they are in given the rock.

I have a relatively young tank with all soft corals. I hear that most other solutions to aiptasia would also eat the coral but welcome to other solutions to the problem as well if there are any.

Help!

2. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

I always found they came out better at night, they may take their time eating your aiptasia and if they are that small may not need feeding as much , patience and as long as you have true peppermints they will eat them

3. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

i last used Aptasia-x with great success

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

As shady says, Peppermint shrimps are way more active at night but you have to be careful how much you feed your fish or the pepps will scavenge leftover food and leave the aptasia alone.
    They are also pack hunters so to speak, I remember seeing a video a good while ago where four or five of them ganged up on an aptasia to eat it so if you’re going down the peppermint route it may well be better to have quite few in there.

5. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

i also have 2 file fish

6. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Agreed,, I haven’t seen any aptasia for a long while since adding a filefish to the tank.

7. Kipper

Kipper Registered

Threadfin butterfly !
    Totally wiped out aptasia in my mates tank picking them out the rocks and he was infested with them.
    Nice addition to the tank but can be difficulty to get feeding when aptasia has gone.

8. gazerbo

gazerbo Registered

I had loads of aptasia. File fish do eat them and do a great job. I had the green boring looking file fish. Not sure if all types eat them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice