1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured advice on RO unit.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Wilson, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Wilson

Wilson Registered

Hi everyone, just a bit of advice needed.

I always get my salt water from my LFS for £1 a gallon and just wondered how feasible it would be to get an RO unit and make up my own. Before I started the hobby I looked into getting one but would have to pay around £40 for a 2nd hand unit, then £50 or whatever it is for the bucket of salt.

I will be needing 18 litres of salt water per week (if I'm doing 10%water changes but thinking of upping it to 20litres)

by the time I have finished buying everything I need I'm just unsure whether or not it is worth it. Like how long does a bucket of salt last?

Cheers everyone.

2. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

Think you get about 700 litres out of a bucket of salt

3. MinerWilly

MinerWilly Registered

Do you have somewhere to put an RO unit that's practical ?

4. karlosbaldos

karlosbaldos Registered

And salt lasts as long as it doesn't get wet that would probably keep you going for nearly 2 years...Karl...

5. Wilson

Wilson Registered

only on the decking really outside, and even then I don't really want buckets/tubs all over, really undecided whether to just carry on as I am now or do it all myself.

6. JayTee

JayTee Registered

I've just bought an RO unit from Little Ocean but haven't set it up yet (lazy......). I haven't got a permanent site for it so it has ball valves to keep the membrane wet when not in use. Just an idea if you're struggling for room.

7. Wilson

Wilson Registered

my laziness is the only reason I have not gone for one yet, just easier letting people do it for you. I always do tests on it before it goes in and then test the tank the day after. So I know I am not just putting rubbish in. Will see anyway but think I am gonna carry on as I am right now and get an RO unit if I see a bargain come up.

8. Huskyrob

Huskyrob Registered

I've got one ordered for my water, i've only got a 130l tank, i have a 60mile round trip to the nearest supply though so its a no brainer for me as i'd be paying £20 in diesel to get there and back every week.

If my lfs was close i would have probably used them as long as it was quality water.

9. barracuda

barracuda Registered

You wont know the TDS of the water once its mixed with salt, and knowing RO water from lfs it more than likely not 0. so contamins can still be put in tank throu polluted RO. This is the main reason why folk make there own RO, so they know exactly what there putting in tank.
    I make some for a neighbour which he pays me for which goes into a pot.
    if you can do same for someone it will pay for itself over time.:smile:

10. Wilson

Wilson Registered

Cheers for the advice Barracuda, do you think it may be worth testing the RO water I buy from them as well then to see what it's like? I know what you're saying about selling to a neighbour but don't know anybody local that deals with marines, apart from all the folk on this site. hmmmmm decisions decisions lol :D

11. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

mate,
    ive an ro maker here you can look at on sunday when you call.

12. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

MaRiNe_MaDnEsS Registered

Great idea, how much you charging per 25 ltr then?

13. barracuda

barracuda Registered

2 quid for guaranteed 0 TDS. may cost a bit more in fuel for your round trip thou. LOL

14. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

I was thinking more about me doing the same lol

15. barracuda

barracuda Registered

Yes, i thought as much lol. imo if you can help out a fellow reefer + make a few £ a week its a bonus.:thumbup1: wilson. if you get a hand held tds meter of fleabay or our own mr scott, you will be surprised at what reading your local fish shop sells there RO for.:wink:

16. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

Lol, my local garden centre has a massssssssive ro unit. If i got anymore than 0 out of it i would be disappointed

17. Wilson

Wilson Registered

Cheers for the info everyone.

Paul- the girlfriend will be with me on Sunday (I think) so whisper the price under your breath so if I buy it from you I will say they only cost a tenner :D

18. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

pmsl,
    ok mate

19. tonym.lfc

tonym.lfc Registered

id go for your own ro, as you never know what yer getting from the lfs, im the same as jaytee if you have a garden tap like me its great. get a tap connector (only cheap) just have ballvalves on the pipes of the r.o. run what you need, close ball valves and store r.o unit away inside untill needed again.
    Tony

20. paulscott1976

paulscott1976 Registered

i took my tds pen to my lfs to check it,
    was 0 luckily.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice