1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Adding Clowns

Discussion in 'Fish Health' started by Fearnus, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Fearnus

Fearnus Registered

Hi I currently have a clown fish someone gave to me as he was closing his tank but I got into this hobby after seeing some black ice clowns I believe (they where all black and white with no orange and a funky pattern with a blue tinge inbeteen the black and white) I was going to give up the clown I already have but grown fond of it. So I wanted to know if it's possible to add a couple of young clowns into the tank? I'm guessing the one I have will be female as it has always been alone. The tank will be a reefer 170. Although all my livestock are currently in a qt tank due to house move. Do I was thinking it might be a good idea to add to new clowns at the same time as my current one?

Is this possible or is there a good chance they could fight?

2. Jaydodds100

Jaydodds100 Registered

Some people are successful in keeping odd numbers but the chances are not great. If you have one clown already, I would advise to only add one more. Make sure there is obvious size difference and the larger one will then be female. Adding one of a similar size will result in fighting. Adding a pair will most likely result in fighting too and three will no doubt end up being only two. If you have a relatively large aquarium, then it is possible to be successful with two pairs, as each pair will have their own space but in small aquariums odd numbers or multiple pairs is generally asking for trouble.

3. Fearnus

Fearnus Registered

Ok that's what I thought :-( am I right in thinking I'd need to add a smaller one as mine has been along for a while and guessing it's female already?

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Some very good advice there,,
    Yes adding a smaller one would be best.

5. Jaydodds100

Jaydodds100 Registered

Adding a smaller one would be the safest option but you would also probably get away with adding one larger than the one you have already. If it was me, I would go smaller.

6. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

I have three strawberry clowns and they are fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice