1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Adding A Sump And Overflow Weir

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by NoK3, Aug 8, 2018.

1. NoK3

NoK3 Registered

I want to put a sump tank into my system. I have no installed weir as well as no holes drilled. It’s not practical to drill without disrupting the whole tank. I’m considering the Tunze Overflow Weir but unsure on the water return pump. My question is, if you get a blockage on the weir what stops the return pump from continuously pumping to the point it over fills the main tank. Hopefully what I’m asking is clear and any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Nothing I would guess, you would have to make sure your tank can hold the excess water from the sump in just the same way you need to make sure your sump can hold any water from the tank in case of a power cut.

3. SaltyDan66

SaltyDan66 Registered

Maybe consider a float switch or something similar . Whereby if the level drops below a certain point in your sump, it turns your return pump off .

4. shazants

shazants Registered

upload_2018-12-7_10-20-48.png

I decided to build my own overflow and add it to my RSM 250 with a cheap custom sump, as doug mentioned it is very important to ensure that the MAX amount it can siphon is less than what the sump can hold!... I also installed a non return valve on the return pipe.... as i quickly found out that it will siphon back through the return pump if not!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice