1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Aces Shallow Five Footer

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by aces_up1504, Nov 26, 2013.

1. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

After rather un inspiring River Reef 94 for 12 plus months, it was time to go one of two way bigger or nothing.

I wanted the tank to be part of living area, rather than the tank sitting on kitchen unit. It had to be part of the furniture and not just a aquarium. I love the look of the hi gloss sadly it would not suit.

To fit in it had to be oak, I very nearly bought a 5ft maidenhead oak sumped tank second hand, had a few issues to solve and some one jumped in. Dispute the bargain I missed, it was a good miss. On second thoughts and sizing, it would have dominated the room and probably not looked very good.

So back to square one and a browse through the medium tanks on here and the long shallow braceless tanks had me inspired. It was exactly what I was lookin for. I had a plan

4ft on 151cm oak sideboard. Phone the local builder for quotes, all great, followed by a spanner in the works you can have a 5ft x 14"w x 18"deep braceless tank for 1\2 price, customer failed to collect. Exactly what I wanted butu a foot longer.

Scramble on the internet to find a sideboard, most sideboards are 151cm, just smidge to small for the tank. Looks like 5ft was not me a to be. Then by luck stumbled on a eBay seller oak sideboard at 160cm, in the correct style, colour and most important price.

The 5ft dream was back on!

Next stumbling block the tank had been drilled with 3* 45mm across the top of the side panel. I wanted an aqua x system anyway but could the holes be made to fit. Conversation with fit filtration sorted that one out.

So it was engines started, bought the sideboard, and holding deposit paid on the tank.

The tank will sit on this
    Solid Rustic Oak Sideboard Living Dining Room Extra Large Traditional Furniture | eBay

It will be sumped to the cabinet underneath, was thinking I will build myself, well the baffles
    Running x aqua in and out and probably a jeboa WP25
    Going east for some Leds and ordering a 72 x3w 120cm direct from manufacture in the next couple of days.

That's it so far, fingers crossed I can do the outlay justice. Far more than I ever thought I would spend but in for a penny in for a pound

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. chippypah

chippypah Registered

Should look very nice on there.

3. PaulW

PaulW Registered

Sounds a nice build.:)

Is it 24 with or height ? Dimentions to me read height so not shallow ?

4. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

My bad 18" deep, corrected original post

5. PaulW

PaulW Registered

Lol. Thought it sounded off :-d stand looks nice too

6. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Picked it up today as the seller was fairly local. Its a pretty hefty piece if furniture around 75kg.

Thankfully using the aqua x system, I can keep the damage limited to a few smallish holes in the back pannels

7. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Ok next step has been completed: LED lights ordered direct from China.

1(11-27-09-37-44).jpg 4(11-27-09-37-44).jpg

72 x 3W BridgeLux.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  8. tyger

tyger Registered

They look cool.

9. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Great price for your light unit. Is that the starlight led unit?
    What degree of lenses have you gone with?
    I too went with Bridgelux led's over Cree & I am more than happy with my light.
    I have had my led light unit 12 months this coming January.
    It certainly helped my electricity consumption as I compared Oct 2011-2012 was 10950kWh as oppose to Oct 2012-2013 was 6850kWh.
    Expect to pay duty on the item a few weeks later. You'll no doubt receive an invoice from your carrier.
    My light was $650 but they priced my unit at $125 on my carrier invoice so I only paid duty on $125 which was $27 I think.

Dave

10. Hazey

Hazey Registered

I would strip out the inside of the new sideboard when it arrives, drill holes in the back for ventilation or even better install 1 or 2 extractor fans.
    Defo strengthen it with either metal or wooden battens as that 5 footer is gonna be a heavy beast

Exciting tines for you right now mixed with a lot of head scratching to make sure you get it right. X-Aquas are a great idea to make do without a weir. If I got a new tank I would defo use xaquas

Dave

11. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Gone with the 90 degree. That was my thinking with going with LED to start with, I think on new tanks it almost false economy to buy anything else, unless you really don't want LED.

Yes I think it is the same as starlight, I would have liked to go though the UK supplier but the savings going direct are just too big.

Aqua X and pipework has just been ordered. It been an expensive morning!

12. tyger

tyger Registered

It will be worth it.

13. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

I was wondering about extraction, having looked at some cabinets damp does seem a problem. Was thinking some larger computer fans cut into the backboard on the cabinet? Would that work? Or would i just pass the damp on the wall that back on to it?

So much head scratching its untrue, also a lot of soul searching as I watch the price rise and rise

14. Hazey

Hazey Registered

I don't have any fans in my cabinet, I just have large holes but I did not create them mine is the cabinet the tank came with, it's a Godiva exec tank & stand.

Yes, pc fans would work but I'm in the same understanding as you, worried about transferring the moisture to my walls.. I know of some people that have installed an extractor fan to their outside wall nearest their tanks.

I went out & bought a dehumidifier for my house last year. I use it in the winter months & only use it over night.
    When I am home I always have a window open slightly for air flow.

I noticed a great reduction in evaporation when changing from my 8x54w ati light to my led's.

15. Galvinized

Galvinized Registered

Just one little hint for the Xaqua's, you might want to leave a 4" gap at the back of the tank just so you can remove them if needed.
    I know a few who have shoved their tanks right up against the wall and now regret it coz they can't get them off without moving the whole tank.

16. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Thanks Galvinised. The tank has been pre-drilled on one of the side panels. So my aim is to take the down pipe to the bottom on the tank level then around to the back and into the sump via the back panels but the same applies as it will go against a chimney.

17. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Picked up a 3ft tank today from [MENTION=18379]findingnemo[/MENTION] for a hammer frag.

Will be going down the glazers on monday to order some glass to convert it into a sump. Depending on how much they charge might get them to do it.

IMG_0820.jpg

Eheim 1260 bought and picked up

Lights are being dispatched on Monday and should be 3-5 days
    Aqua X and pipework being dispatched next week.

Hopefully will be in pretty decent place come next weekend, to sort picking up the tank up and start putting it together.

18. Galvinized

Galvinized Registered

How is the Eheim 1260, it was a bargain price you mentioned a few days ago?

19. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Amazingly quiet. Guy had it set up, could not hear it a foot away from it.

20. aces_up1504

aces_up1504 Registered

Lights are there way, expected delivery time 3 to 5 days.

Glass priced up for sump baffles, £2.70 x 6. I know tomorrows job

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice