1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured A walk on the salty side

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks (11-30gal)' started by dannyzx6r, Nov 30, 2012.

1. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

Right, so this is the tank I downgraded to from a 4x4x2.5. It is 600x300x350 lwh and has been running for just over 3 weeks now.

The current stock is a pair of clowns and a peppermint shirimp, feeding is frozen brine shrimp once every two days by pipette for minimal waste.

I have no idea of how many kilos of live rock I have in there but I think about 14-15kg as it is what I selected from the 20kg I had in the big tank before downgrading to this, I am currently only running x1 6500k T8 bulb but plan to upgrade the lighting after christmas. For circulation I am only using a 800lh newjet pump placed in the top left corner of the tank and no skimmer.

The rock is placed so there is a big void behind it and the flow circulates around it freely, I may or may not add to the flow but everything is happy as is so far.

Here are a few pics, if anyone can ID the green and red algae/plant and also the coral in the 6th picture that would be great.

Left hand side of the tank
    [​IMG]

Center of the tank
    [​IMG]

Right hand side of the tank
    [​IMG]

All the rest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. adamandlucy86

adamandlucy86 Registered

Looks really really good. Im impressed. Water looks crystal clear aswell

3. BigLarry

BigLarry Registered

Not sure if I'm looking at the right picture, but if it's the one I think you mean it's Halimeda or commonly known as "Cactus algae".

As regards flow, in one of your photos there seems to be a lot of surface "scum" so you may want to look at removing that.

4. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

Thanks, 99% of the time the water is crystal and as if it is not there at all lol.

Thanks Larry that is the one, any idea of what the red stuff is in pic 5? The scum does not seem to be a problem, I guess it is proteins that would otherwise be taken out by a skimmer? I soak it off every few days with some kitchen paper :)

5. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

Forgot about this so thought I would update it and keep it going,

As I am sure most of you frequent users are aware I have now moved into a 610x510x450 with DIY cabinet ( cabinet build thread )

I am happy to say I have all the original corals that I started with at the end of September 2012 and are all doing well and growing, I have since added a pair of leather toadstools and some Xenia. Fish are a pair of clowns as stated above, I had a pair of peppermint shrimp but the smaller of the two I may have crushed while scaping not long after getting them. The bigger ( called Peppa ) is doing well and has cleared up all the aips and has shed 3 times that I know of most recently being the night I swapped tanks to the current one 4-1-2013.

I plan to add another fish or two at the end of the month as long as everything settles into the new tank without any problems, possibly a Naso tang.....

Recent pic 6 days after moving into it ( as posted elsewhere on the forum already )
    [​IMG]

This is now the third tank I have used since starting, I started in a 4x2x2.5 found that to much to do with limited time so downgraded to a 600x300x300 which I found to small and now am in the 610x510x450 which seems perfect...........for now lol

6. avangels

avangels Registered

keep your eye on the peppermint shrimp they have been known to eat corals when the aips are gone :(

7. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

Well peppa is dead for some reason, I actually think it was lack of food as she cleared out every aip and I think was not getting enough food when I fed which is a shame. I have now got the new lights 4x24w T5 on and everything is looking happier than ever after them being on for a few hours now, just waiting for a couple of blues so running the 4 6500k that came with it.

Not sure what I will do with the unit as it is not exactly pretty so may sink it into a floating shelf or something.
    [​IMG]

8. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

Just a note, this tank will be upgraded to a 900x750x450 optiwhite at the end of March :) Cant wait lol

9. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Wow, you don't hang around with your upgrades do you Danny.

Current & past tanks look great

Dave

10. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

I just want to get a tank I can settle with as quick as possible so I can actually settle on what I am doing rather than always having the though of an upgrade holding me back lol

Up and down in tank size like a yoyo lol

11. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

This will be it now until I can persuade the Mrs to let me have another 8ft pmsl

12. radcliffe78

radcliffe78 Registered

Nice tank

13. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

I was bored so took a few random shots of the tank and thought I would update this with them, they are straight off the camera and no work done but there are a couple I will touch up as they will be fantastic once run through photoshop.

Current tank specs are:

Size 610x510x460 approx 140L
    x2 Newave 1.7 powerheads
    x1 300w heater
    x4 24w T5 lighting run 9am-2pm / 6pm-11pm currently all 6500k bulbs in use
    Kent marine nano skimmer run 11pm-8am every night
    Feeding frozen brine shrimp once every two days by pippet
    Approx 15% water change every 7-10 days
    No sump, Liverock filteration only approx 15kg
    Kent marine reef salt
    Salinity 1.025/1.026
    Temp 25.04 / 26.01

Corals:
    Leather toadstools x2
    Standard other toadstool colony x7
    Kenya tree frags x2
    Pulsing xenia frags x2
    Loads of Yuma's and oter small mushies
    Xenia
    Assorted Zoas
    Few other little things here and there

Fish

Pair of common perc clowns
    Electric blue damsel x1

Inverts/cuc

x1 Red legged hermit
    Other things that live in the rock with the bristle worms, brittle stars, copepods etc

The pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

Better pic of the clowns,

[​IMG]

15. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

The tank has undergone a redesign, I had enough of the softies and loads of rock look and decided it was time to move onto a mainly LPS stock. I sold all my rock with the majority of the softies and now in the process of finding the right few pieces of rock and getting the LPS :)

16. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

17. K+N VTS

K+N VTS Registered

lovely!!! I love your frogspawn I cant wait to get some more:)

18. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

19. Galvinized

Galvinized Registered

Looking good!

How are you finding the Razor compared to the T5's?

I'm a sucker for Euphyllia, what kind of stocking plans do you have coral wize?

20. dannyzx6r

dannyzx6r Registered

I only got it yesterday but first impressions seem very very good. I will be mainly hammers, torches stuff like that. The easier side of the lps for now lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice