1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

A Pocket Guide

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Johnysmall, May 6, 2010.

1. Johnysmall

Johnysmall Registered

Went to lfs today to buy a fish, no idea what I wanted, just see what they had when I got there.
    The selection was pretty impressive but, as a novice, what struck me was the limited info on each fish. There was descriptions for about 30% of the stock, saying whether they are reef safe or not etc the rest just had the names.
    Next problem was with say 4 different types in each tank with four names above it, then makes it (for a begginer like me) purely guess work as to what name goes with what fish. Some are obvious but most are not.
    So with up to 10 fish in my mind that I liked the look of, I had to go into the shop section to find a book to look each one up.

If only I had with me a small yet comprehensive pocket guide.........

Can anybody recommend a good one before I enter the dreaded ebay??

2. gillyspot

gillyspot Registered

The best small pocket sized (well nearly) book IMO is the Pocket Expert book Marine Fishes by Scott W Michael

3. Sandy

Sandy Registered

[attachment=0:1vvvhx65]41l0VQ5KPzL__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg[/attachment:1vvvhx65]

another excellent book by scott w michael

4. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

There is also one for invertebrates by Ronald Smimek from the same publisher

both very good referance "Pocket Expert Guides" [thumbup1.gif]

5. Johnysmall

Johnysmall Registered

Ebay auction just finished, got nearly new one for £11 odd including postage and packing :)) :)) :))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice