1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured A Bedroom Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks (11-30gal)' started by rabbut, Oct 12, 2012.

1. rabbut

rabbut Registered

It would be my side if I wasn't single... However, the pumps didn't sound noisy in the sink when tested, so I'm hoping they won't be that bad, plus I have a few tricks up my sleeve for shutting them up if needed :wink:

TBF, I also have "background music" from my server to deal with, plus certain people sleeping in other rooms in the house, so it would need to be very noisy to be a problem at the moment. I am going to invest in quieter fans for that computer at some point though, as they are rather bad :sad: Just not sure how to shut up the other source of background "music" :unsure: It sounds like thunder some nights...

2. bigguy

bigguy Registered

i have 2 server in my bedroom worst noise is from my oldest daughter sound like a train in the house and she is in the extention farest away from me i here here more than the 2 servers i run lol

3. rabbut

rabbut Registered

About time for an update me thinks...

This system is pretty much ready to fill. The only piece of hardware I would like before I put water in it, is an Ozone unit to play with... However... It seems most manufacturers have either gone to the wall or are currently out of stock. I may therefore give that a miss as I've never used it before and never had a problem without it...

The Newjet 1200 runs like a freight train. I thought originally that is was because of a defective impeller. However, it appears the impeller is meant to be fixed to the shaft, and the shaft is meant to turn in the rubber bushes. Not only does this seemingly make it a noisy pump, I imagine it will also cause unacceptable bushing wear in long-term use... Annoyingly, this pump is now glued in, so I cannot just swap it. Also, a Maxijet impeller doesn't quite fit in the standard vlute on this pump. So, I've modified it a little :wink: A MJ1200 impeller now fits, so I'll source a new one and that should be that noise issue sorted... (old one I have is warn so don't really want to fire up the pump with it in) The return pump is also a little noisy, but IME most pumps need a week to settle down and shut up. Also, I have a few other tricks to try if it doesn't before replacing with a quieter model such as one suggested elsewhere in this thread.

All plumbing is done, the RO unit is replaced, a Kessil A150W Sky blue with two TMC blue strips purchased for lighting and I have a 9W Arcadia Arc Pod for over the sump. There is also a bag of coral sand somewhere lying about. All I need to do is run off the water, mix up the salt and then I can start sourcing some living rock to go in and cure.

I got a full new set of test kits today, as the old set went stale I've been out of the hobby so long, and also managed to get some DI sorted for the new RO unit...

I also need to say a big thanks to [MENTION=17474]Gedmin[/MENTION] for kindly donating some buffer and invert food he had lying around to the cause. :thumbup1:

4. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

No worries mate, was nice to see you again and thanks for the lift to Burscough. :)

Hurry up and get it online lol

5. rabbut

rabbut Registered

It's now wet and salty! :smile:

Got my rock to collect on Thursday, but will use the time before then waiting for the skimmer to settle down. Microbubbles are a bit of an issue at the minute...

6. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Reet, it's wet.

Obligatory "fill in progress"

[​IMG]

From the room

[​IMG]

From bed

[​IMG]

The rock is uncured and has been in just over 24 hours. It didn't smell terrible, but the Ammonia is up at 1.25mg/l, for 0 Nitrite/Nitrate. Doesn't look likely to be a 1 week cycling wonder at this point... I suspect a longer cure time may be involved here...

7. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Well, It's finally cycled (1 week of clear results on Ammonia and Nitrite), and Nitrate has even brought itself into line :smile: So I added my first fish and inverts on Saturday :smile:

8. Matt88

Matt88 Mayor Of London

Nice one. Looks good :)

9. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

What do you mean it looks good, we need more photos! :tongue:

10. rabbut

rabbut Registered

I've had a run of bad luck with this of late...

I sliced through the silicone seam of the weir with a razor by accident. On removing the tank I thought it would be a great idea to pull it up and out via the closed loop pipework. This caused the weir to crack... So, instead of just running a blob of silicone up the joint, I had to cut out the broken pane, source a replacement, glue that in and then glue in the plastic from Pete and all pipework again :sad: On the plus side, I had the perfect excuse to get shot of the freight train that was the NewJet 1200, and fit a Tunze Silence model. Unfortunately it's only slightly better, I now have a passenger train running in the system... It looks like I should get hold of the Eheim someone mentioned earlier and see if I can botch my closed loop pipework to get it to fit. Third time lucky and all that...

So, after all that messing about with the display, I re-filled it and all was looking good :smile:

Until the day after when the tank started overheating. I slipped lowering a bottle of frozen RO into the return compartment of the sump and it fell against the side of the sump, cracking it from the top to about half way down. ****** didn't quite cover my sentiments... :sad: So, the sump is now in pieces being glued back together in my garage :sad: And I need to go and get the replacement side later this morning.

EDIT to add, on stripping down all the sump gear to clean while I have it out anyway, I discovered the mesh-wheel impeller on the skimmer is pretty much shot and will also need replacing...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  11. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

You didn't think it would be plain sailing did you dude.

Hope you are well mate and stuff sorts itself out asap

12. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Wow, what a crap week. Hope you get back on top of it all mate,

13. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Well, I haven't updated this since I needed to strip the tank for repairs, so it's probably time for an update. FTS first

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a hiding new addition. Had it about a week and while it stayed put for the first 24h, it's been wandering since...

[​IMG]

And one of my female clown. Neither of them are hosting the nem. The female hosts the thermometer and the male the return outlet :unsure:

[​IMG]

14. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Got a nice surprise this morning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's obviously not going to stay there like, but still... :tongue:

I need to play with the camera settings. In the flesh it's nice red tentacles with purple tips and a florescent green oral disk.

15. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Been a long time since I last updated this. The tank is still running, but not as smoothly as liked. The Male clown was murdered by his girlfriend. She pushed him over the weir where he met the ball valve on the main drain down to the sump :sad: Bad design on my part not having it guarded like, but there is no space what so ever for a guard on the main drain. The nem has taken up residence by the sump return where it has stayed the last 2 months or so. It's eating well and not actually looking for light as it's position may suggest as it's actually fairly shaded in that corner...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was given a couple of struggling corals by a local shop, whom will remain unnamed, that seem to be doing well here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then there was a lovely Green Acan that I just have to have when I spotted it at £30 a couple of weeks back

[​IMG]

FTS

[​IMG]

Nearly missed the Urchin

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  16. Rhinopia

Rhinopia Registered

Nice setup, Big Thumbs Up what's your plans for future livestock ?

17. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Future stock fish wise I'll probably (eventually, after she's grown a bit) replace the male clownfish. I'm also considering something like a Helfrichi Firefish, but that will be a way down the line yet...

Coral wise I've wanted to do SPS dominated at some point, but my stats aren't yet stable enough IMO, and the Phosphate is still climbing suggesting the DSB still has some maturing to do. :unsure: Again, probably a while off yet.

18. Cleggy1981

Cleggy1981 Registered

What happened to the tank we lifted in with you. Did it ever get wet?

19. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Nope, still sitting dry. Folks decided when I moved out they were keeping it, so I decided they were paying for it. Neither of us are particularly happy or willing to progress it's set-up, so it will probably sit empty until I do move out and them it will probably move with me and be set-up wherever I settle.

20. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Reet, it's been a while since I last bothered to update this, so I figured it was about time... The Acans were doing ovely until the Urhin went over them. I don't think it ate them as all cans were still present and correct after, but I do think it stung them badly as they all sat closed for about a week before bailing out :sad: It's rather a shame, but not a whole lot can be done about it bar not replacing the cans with more cans. :sad:

The Anemone appears to be growing well, but growth from the bubble hasnt been noticeable. This is a surprise to me as bubbles always used grow like weeds for me in the old system, but I know for most they are tyically a slower grower.

With the Clownfish I'm having similar luck to with the cans. I bought a nice small one to go with the one I already had and they got along really well, no scrapping or anything. Then the established one appeared to collect Velvet, then appeared to shake it, then lost loads of weight and then vanished :sad: The smaller is doing well, but I'm not going to be confident in adding another for a few more months given the issues I had with the established fish.

As these Kessils get good reviews and seem to have SPS do well in the US, I decided to try an Acro SPS "colony" (I'd have said more frag) that Ocean Corals had in. They were all brown in the shop (bar a couple of bleached ones) and some appeared to have pest Aiptasias on them, but as I CoralRx dip new additions anyway, I'm not expecting issues with anything too nasty. It clearly isn't going to start colouring up this quickly, but it has a hint of purple under my lights and the polyps are sort of half out, so doing better than in the shop. Lets see what happens. Hopefully it will pick-up and do well like the Acans did until their incident with the Urchin. :unsure: If they do well, I'll start looking at other SPS to have a go with.

Anyhow, enough waffling, time for 'photos

FTS's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Acro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bubble

[​IMG]

Nem

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice