1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 72" x 14" x 14" with built in sump

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by tyger, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tyger

tyger Registered

Just come back from my LFS now got a starry blenny, 2 purple firefish and a small lamarks angel in my QT:)
    View attachment 101125

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Matt88

Matt88 Mayor Of London

Nice fish pal

3. tyger

tyger Registered

Cheers Matt .

4. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Congratulations dude. Now lets see these fish back in the DT!

Your thouhts on quarentine now? If you had known before would you have all along? Or would you risk it?

5. tyger

tyger Registered

Quarantining is a real PITA and sooo boring if you are like me....impatient lol.

knowing what I know now, I would never add another fish without a QT and pre treatment, for me, it gives me great piece of mind and reduces the worry, not to mention better health for my fish.

Quarantine and pre treatment of all fish and coral treatment from now on, thanks Ben and everyone else for all the help and advice.

6. tyger

tyger Registered

7. tyger

tyger Registered

QT update...... 6 days in......after 3 days I noticed a couple of white marks appear on the female firefish, she has been fine eating well with no scratching, now on day 6 and have just noticed my small lamarks angel looks really irritated and is scratching, on close inspection I can only see one small red sore type spot on her lower stomach, my starry blenny looks fine.
    I don't know whether to be brassed off, or accept that this is why we quarantine, and the meds will do there thing. I would of thought the free swimming element of WS would of being killed before they had chance to transfer to other fish, unless all fish were infected in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. StarfishEnterprise

You got your answer there mate. That's why we quarantine. As per the thread you started, the shops can not provide room and resources for preventative treatment.
    I too have often wondered would it not be better to do this but i think you have to look at all the water changes, additional equipment, medications and dosing regimes. Most outlets will run heavy on Ozone or Uv to help sterilize systems and hopefully suppress parasites.

12 months ago when i first set up a QT system after treating some of my fish i then offered the service to friends and family and locals who wish to have their live stock pre treated. I have done several batch's of fish, wife does the feeds and i do the meds and WC.

9. tyger

tyger Registered

Morning Ben, If you would still offer this service I will be your friend lol, working shifts I struggle to give the time to a QT. I will persevere with this batch in my QT but I want a large frozen food eating green mandarin, a smallish chalk goby and smallest YT you can buy, If you would be prepared or have the time to do these for me just let me know, and I'll send any payments you need.

10. StarfishEnterprise

Yes I still offer this service.

Im just quarentining my stock for my new system but once tanks empty ill be happy to help you out.

11. tyger

tyger Registered

thanks Ben if you wouldn't mind PM me you number and tell me when you are free to talk.

12. tyger

tyger Registered

Thanks for the chat Ben, you've put my mind at rest (I think lol)

13. StarfishEnterprise

Not a problem. Anything your not sure about feel free to call or just drop me a PM and ill get back to you when i can :thumbup1:

14. Sam_

Sam_ Registered

Where has this little gem been hiding! Haha just read your entire tank story!

Very jel. Of you being finished you're 72 day period!

15. Sam_

Sam_ Registered

Close one there mate! Before this WS thing I never QT any of my fish and got away with it for 2 years... Guess I was lucky but I will never be making that mistake again! Good job you caught this in the QT!

16. tyger

tyger Registered

Yep....just goes to show why we need to quarantine.

17. tyger

tyger Registered

More help please (Ben lol) Thinking of a red tip bubble nem, given my recent WS problems how do I add one to my DT safely ie, pre treatment like corals (probably not I would Imagine) or do I have to quarantine and if so for how long please?

18. StarfishEnterprise

Same as corals mate but with no dip.Tricky one im afraid.

19. tyger

tyger Registered

So would I be ok with using two little fishes revive?

20. tyger

tyger Registered

just spotted the "with no dip" what would you do ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice