1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 72" x 14" x 14" with built in sump

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by tyger, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tyger

tyger Registered

I designed it and had it made, you are correct with the rear, the water is sucked in on the right runs six feet to the other side through another 20 kg of live rock and baffle's then fired out from the left. I sold my last tank because of lack of time, then regretted it and came up with this, although its got some restrictions I find it so much easier to look after.

2. greengrass

greengrass Registered

How is it sucked thro? Is it just ur return on the left thats sucking it thro? Also how are ur baffles laid out?

3. tyger

tyger Registered

Yes its just the return pump sucking at 3800 lph. one baffle after the skimmer then approx. 4 feet then two more with the return pump in the last one, still got loads of room in there for more live rock and other medias if needed.

4. tyger

tyger Registered

Ok another update,.... I'm so impatient and hissed off waiting to get some fish back into my DT I have set up a second QT :w00t: I'm sure Mrs Tiger will spot it very soon, I just cant think of an excuse for this one so will have to take it on the bum smiley-sex020 If I'm not heard of again its been nice knowing you all:thumbup1:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. tyger

tyger Registered

UPDATE....... 65 days in and counting......QT 1 doing well with paraguard clowns are fine and eating well QT 2 with blue reef chromis doing well. I have on order x2 purple fire fish, x1 chalk goby x1 starry blenny and 1 female lamarks angel for the 9th October.:clap:

Now for my confusion (sorry Ben I know we have touched on this before) I am paranoid about WS hence the fallow DT and pre treatment of fish, sooooo
    when it comes to corals I will dip them using lugol's solution, which should kill off some parasites, BUT I am taking it that it wont kill the torment stage of the WS, so the only way to be sure is to quarantine all corals for 72 days, otherwise there was no point leaving the DT tank fallow for the 72 days. If that's the case this is getting beyond a pleasurable hobby. what do you guy do???Thanks

6. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Yes mate thats correct. Unfortunately theres no way to effectively treat WS brought in on corals and inverts. Other than fallow tsnk again for 72 days. My slef im lucky I have the nano set up which I can hold corals in. I have one fish, I know this breaks the rules but I can monitor both that fish and corals before going into a display.
    All my fish will go through a 3 week qt process before entering my display in a seperate qt system.

7. tyger

tyger Registered

Now I feel brassed off, if every time I fancy a coral I have to quarantine it for 8 weeks.

8. StarfishEnterprise

I know what you mean. PITA just hopefully one day and soon they will find a cure for whitespot that is reef safe and very effective. For now we can only do our best. Most coral tanks in lfs tend to have little or no fish and as the fish in those tanks usually dont change and are in there for a purpose usually algae eaters/pest control it could well be safe. Have a keen eye as to what is in the system when buying a coral. Look at the health not just of the one that interests you but every other inhabitat for potential signs of issues.

9. tyger

tyger Registered

Think what I will do is this....... when all my fish are in my DT add some live rock to my QT (about 5kg) which I want as extra for my DT rear sum also 20 or so hermits which I also want, then buy 10 ish corals to add to my existing corals leave for 8 weeks after the last one is added then just be satisfied with the DT and have a rest from all the quarantining for a while.

PS. also a lugol dip before going in the QT. Dose this sound like a good plan?

10. StarfishEnterprise

Any live rock, inverts and corals wont be able to go in the QT if you have treated with any copper based medication as they sre sensitive and it may well kill them.
    Is Paraguard copper based? I can not remember.
    In my qt tank is 1-2" of sand, ocean rock, plastic plants, internal filter, heater, airline and a 1.5 w led strip light. But im pretty much constantly medicating the system so even when empty it still have treaments circulating mainly CP.
    I know folk can argue the pros and cons of qt and what you should and shouldnt do but in my mind a bare tank is likely to stress the fish more. CP is a gentle treatment and the benfits of being able to medicate the water before adding fish and for prolonged periods with out worry of over dose helps serve a better purpose. The fish like wrasse I feel need some form of security blanket and even tangs which stress easily enjoy a rock to hide behind or a plant to dissappear Into.
    The tank is only 24"x12"x12" and costs next to nothing to run so its cheaper to do this than loose an £80 tang or a £190 wrasse.
    Obviously for corals this presents a whole new challenge as you require stable params, additional lighting etc but again is it worth risking thousands of pounds of stock? I see it as paying for an insurance policy the cost of running the additional tanks will pay for them selves In the long run. I lost thousands of pounds worth of stock and I dont want that to happen again.

11. tyger

tyger Registered

The paraguard is a gentle broad based none copper med which dissipates the water after 24 hours hence the need to medicate daily, so as far as the corals are concerned I was thinking of water changes from my WS free tank and upgrading my t8 to a t5, parameters hopefully wont be a problem as I would be quarantining LR also would only have hermits in there so small bio load, no fish so no need to medicate, just leave for 72 days.

Now I have been thinking about the WS cycle...... if you have a tank that has had WS (say like @screewloose and @Gedmin pmsl) but it hasn't raised it head for a few months dose that not mean the parasite is dormant on the fish but has died in the torment; dormant stage on the rocks?...... if so would it not be relaqtively safe to add a coral from those tanks?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  12. tyger

tyger Registered

Ignore the blue question I thought it would be good to put it out to a general thread.

13. StarfishEnterprise

Just got in from work, seen this other thread so ill move to that. :thumbup1:

14. tyger

tyger Registered

72 days fish free complete today
    :):):):):)

15. Matt88

Matt88 Mayor Of London

Well done pal. Must take some patience doing that

16. StarfishEnterprise

Whoop whoop! Coolio.
    Im 6 weeks into my second 72 day full tank QT......dont ask!

17. tyger

tyger Registered

My treatment regime is a little behind schedule because of holidays so first two fish go into DT next Wednesday

18. Matt88

Matt88 Mayor Of London

What happened buddy?

19. tyger

tyger Registered

Plan c... all new corals will be dipped/ treated with two little fishes revive and go straight into the tank, can face weeks of quarantining it will just kill the the fun in this hobby.

20. tyger

tyger Registered

76 days fish free today, and my two clowns have had 25 day med treatment.

Now have two clowns in my DT :clap: feel like I'm back lol

Two blue reef chromis to be added from QT2 in five days.

My 2nd QT consists of a 10 gallon polystyrene tub with heater and a £7.99 jad filter with no media, its only being used for water circulation, the idea was to watch water parameters very carefully and do water changes when needed, I have fed the fish very sparingly and checked ammonia, nitrites and nitrates every other day and so far not had to do a water change, the only reading I have had is 12-15 nitrates, and that includes the medication treatment.

It just go's to show quarantining can be cheap and easy if you are careful :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice