1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 72" x 14" x 14" with built in sump

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by tyger, Mar 22, 2013.

1. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Iv just had a look at the Paraguard - looks like a broad spectrum treatment as well. Its not something i have used before and i don't know any one who has so im not sure how effective it is. The hype does sound good, its ability to treat various problems etc

I can't find any info on dosing period though?

Can you PM me a link or send me any additional info you have received.

2. tyger

tyger Registered

i'm not very technical, I will try and find the UAS site I was on

3. tyger

tyger Registered

4. StarfishEnterprise

from what i can gather you can dose Paraguard but it is not effective against the "dormont" Toment stage of Ich. Effective you treat the water and observe and cease dosing after 3/4 weeks in the hope that the treatment was effective.

Seachem suggest a dosing course of 3 weeks minimum and 4 as a preference but with 2 weeks further QT for observation.

This to me seems too prolonged for QT procedure. IMO

5. tyger

tyger Registered

So do you think you would trust 4 weeks of paraguard to kill ich because that would suit me down to the ground?
    This is why I was thinking of two weeks with paraguard as a general treatment then the 14 day cupramine treatment just to be a little more confident attacking the ich as that is my biggest concern, the two treatment would obviously give me 28 days to attack the ich cycle.

6. StarfishEnterprise

I would use one form of treatment.

Some treatments require regular dosing to increase concentration and effectiveness so if you cut short the treatment there's the potential for it not to be as potent.

The only issue i would have is Paraguard - 4 weeks and then observe for 2 weeks. That does not mean it has necessarily removed the threat. If it stated after 4 weeks then you are safe to add fish to display or that the Ich would be destroyed then yes i would be tempted to say that this is fine and proceed with this course of action.

Personally if ICH is your target, i would choose a more target specific treatment. That being one thats purposely designed to kill Ich in any and or all stages of its life cycle.

7. tyger

tyger Registered

ha ha thought I had a plan, I'm getting more confused now, still having some troubles with the SB site so struggling to reply to PM's.

8. tyger

tyger Registered

Think I'm back lol ..... the meds you mentioned seem to be for malaria, I did see a post somewhere that people are having a lot of success with these, my main target would be WS and flukes, does this option cover both of these and dose it cover any thing else?
    If so is there a link to exactly what and where to buy from please.

9. tyger

tyger Registered

I'm now fish free :cry:no more till October 3rd.
    I've decided to pre-treat with paraguard, and have ordered my QT today:dance:
    Its amazing how much interest there still is in the tank, watching the corals and inverts, the water has never looked so clear.

10. tyger

tyger Registered

Just bought a AWC off Reefloat :clap::clap::clap::dance::dance::dance:

11. StarfishEnterprise

are you still adding food to the tank mate? don't forget all the little stuff in there will need feeding and you also need to keep the tank in cycle ie even the bacteria need nutrients.

12. tyger

tyger Registered

Yes still feed the DT corals and shrimps etc. Ive just put some hermits in the QT till my two blue reef chromis arrive, but won't add the other fish till I get back from my holidays, then I will start the medication regime.
    PS I hate this patience business :banghead:
    But I will do it right. :)

13. StarfishEnterprise

You havent added any treatment to the qt have you? Hermits wont tolerate if you do so dont forget to remove them.

14. tyger

tyger Registered

I haven't forgotten, I will be taking them out when i get home from our holidays then adding the clowns and fire fish , then starting the meds...will keep you posted.
    H.

15. StarfishEnterprise

Sweet! enjoy your hols! :thumbup1:

16. tyger

tyger Registered

Sooooooo bored......I hate this quarantine business, (28 days into the 72) I want to go out and buy some DT stock. I have bought two baby pecular clowns for my QT just as a quick fix to have fish but wont start treatment till I get back from my Hols, cant believe I want my hols to be over!!!!!
    Still feeding the DT, I have noticed a good rise in the pods (ready for my mandarin) and everything else is doing well.

17. StarfishEnterprise

I know what you mean. Why cant whitespot just be gone after a few days. 72 days is a real p.i.t.a.

18. tyger

tyger Registered

Ok an update. 55 days in to a fishless DT. QT tank now has two percula clowns in for the last few weeks and now I'm back from holidays I'm two days into treating the fish, as the QT is still cycling ( my mistake I thought it had finished) that's the reason I'm not putting any other fish in on this treatment run.
    So 25 days with paraguard and counting cant wait to get some fish back into my DT. I have just ordered two blue reef chromis, two purple fire fish and yet to order two more to go in the QT as soon as the clowns move in to the DT.

19. StarfishEnterprise

Getting there! :thumbup1:

20. greengrass

greengrass Registered

Hi mate.

Curious about how the rear sump is set out, did you make it or has it been professionly made?? I take the water goes thro the 2 grates on the right and returns from the left? Ant get my head round this at all lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice