1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 72" x 14" x 14" with built in sump

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by tyger, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tyger

tyger Registered

Thanks they did find it hard to adjust to water with normal parameters:D

2. screwloose

screwloose Registered

don't be like that :p

I picked up and dropped off frags at a low nutrient system.....the shock going from high to low made them go brown for a few weeks,

now the ones that wen into mine ie low to high,,thrived,,and just got better :)

3. tyger

tyger Registered

Ha....im only winding you up lol they were fine and are growing well, the montipora is x5 bigger and a lot bigger than those older photos, will update soon.

4. tyger

tyger Registered

Four and a half month update....... I,ve had a big out break of cyano all over the sand,:w00t: so have changed my lighting period from 11.am to 8.30 pm to 12.00pm to 8.00pm permanently. and in the meantime left the blue lights on all day, except for about three hours when all lights went on..... the result after five days is that every trace of cyano has gone :clap::clap: and the tank looks spot on so happy.:dance::dance::dance:

My other more depressing problem that my new watanebe angel has been attacked and has a wound on his side, he gets on so well with all other fish I don't know how it's happened, as a consequence he's covered in white spot:w00t:, all other fish seem fine, so am treating with garlic enriched food and Ocotzin, to see how it goes. I don't have a spare tank and cant use copper based meds, so I'm watching the situation over the next few days, if there is no improvement I may have to remove him from the tank as I'm away for a week and cant take the chance while I'm away. ....I'm gutted such a gentle fish.

5. tyger

tyger Registered

Gutted...... I've had to take him out, the wound has just got worse and looked so unwell. I cant believe how you can get so attached to a bloody fish!!!!!

6. Matt88

Matt88 Mayor Of London

It's surprising ain't it. Good news on the cyano tho pal

7. tyger

tyger Registered

yep, one step forward one step back lol.

8. tyger

tyger Registered

Just put a fat green manderin aka Merlin in my tank :)
    Also put a deposit on a lovely female bellus angel to collect on Monday. ...can't wait.
    Pics to follow.

9. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

Wheres all the piccies?

10. tyger

tyger Registered

Lights are low while he settles in and the bellus comes Monday but will post pic's.

11. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

Not the tank you plonker, the patio doors. ;)

12. tyger

tyger Registered

13. tyger

tyger Registered

Ok say hello to Merlin and Bella :clap::clap::clap:

View attachment 92850

View attachment 92851

Both are settling in well Tina (YT) has been backing into the bellus but seem to be ok together now, I love the mandarin, like my last one he simply cant be bothered with anyone else he ignores everything.

14. tyger

tyger Registered

Ok ...update, after a severe outbreak of WS and losing £180 worth of angel fish plus a couple of others I've decided to get rid of the other fish while I half less than half the planned stock, so as of today my tank is fishless and will remain so for 73 days... why 73 days?, well having read a great article mentioned by [MENTION=14676]Viking[/MENTION] the record for WS survival in a fishless tank was 72 days. so if I still have it at the end I will have set a new record lol.
    I will take this opportunity to get my rockwork, corals and inverts as I want them, then this time start all my new fish off in a QT and pre treatment regime.
    Just out of interest the regal was the last fish out of my tank, he seemed to have recovered from the WS and nothing was visible, it took a half hour chasing him round the tank before I caught him, by which time the WS spot marks were completely covering his body, which just goes to show once in your tank always in your tank and only needs a stress factor to fire it up.

15. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

I know the feeling dude.

Good luck!

16. tyger

tyger Registered

Thanks Ben also for all the good advise, on the upside have just put in my new Jaboa WP25 ...... best piece of kit I've bought.

17. tyger

tyger Registered

Now i have a quaretine plan lol.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  18. tyger

tyger Registered

NOW I HAVE A QUARETINE PLAN LOL. 63 litre jewel record 600, then dose 14 days with paraguard, then rest two days then 14 days cupramine. The good thing about para guard it is a broad based treatment and will tackle nearly everything including ich, the reason ive gone for copper as well is that its just a double attack, seachem says 28 days with paraguard alone will kill all ich.
    The thing I like about paraguard is it is dosed daily and after 24 hours is out of the system to no need for water changes other than for nitrates and ammonia etc.

PS a good tip from seachem...... after a display tank has been fish free for a while add some of the water from the QT (when it is copper and med free) this will have fish hormones in it and will temp any dormant ich into thinking there is a host about, they turn into their free swimming stage and as there are no fish in the tank, die.

19. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

No way! Never! Do not risk this.

If you have dosed copper into your QT even after running carbon you can not be sure you have eliminated the copper. I would never do this. I would rather wait out the 72 days risk free.

Ill go take a look at this Paraguard.

Seachem says its a 28 day treatment for Ich? Why will you only dose 14 days?

20. tyger

tyger Registered

I'm not going to try what Seachem suggested but I can see the reasoning behind it. The reason I am going to use both products is I will get a months ich attack from both meds along with a wider spectrum of potential pest control. I would love just to use the paraguard for a month, but i'm unsure on its own it is as good at attacking ich. I have read loads of stuff on the USA sites, and just seem to be a better option to use both .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice