1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 72" x 14" x 14" with built in sump

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by tyger, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tyger

tyger Registered

Hello i,m back......sold my aquareef 400 as I wasnt keen....regretted it, so decided to set up a new tank that would be easier to maintain and putting the knowledge I have acrude from my previous two tanks together, and this is what I came up with.

72x14x14 easier to get to the bottom of, I like to fiddle lol, home made stand made lower so the tank is a better height to veiw when sat down. Length to give more of a sand floor for corals and critters glass covers to slow evaporation, LED lights to reduce cost.
    BUT....then the best bit, what looks like the back of the tank is a black glass devider with another 5 3/4" rear sump running full lenght of the tank, it holds so far half of the 40 KG of live rock giving me more water volume in the main tank.
    The water gets pushed out by the return pump at one end with no power loss as only pushing water up 7", then returns through grill at the other side.
    No lower sump pipe work with risk of leaks , no bending down to do maintainance, loads of storage and so far, much less work.
    The tank is being kept simple, the berlin method (i think) live rock and skimmer. The skimmer sits in the back corner of the tank, the downside I can see it, the upside, easy to empty and clean and can see when it needs empting, also using ready mixed pro reef from excellent LFS.
    The tank is 7 weeks old all perameters are spot on and am very happy.

photos later to day

2. tyger

tyger Registered

3. tyger

tyger Registered

4. tyger

tyger Registered

5. tyger

tyger Registered

6. tyger

tyger Registered

HaHa I see easy to maintain tanks that are simple and cheap to run, and are technically simple must be boring as there is nothing to discussHysterical

7. ICEMAN80

ICEMAN80 Registered

Any more pics mate?... Really intrigued by this one. Display looks ace and I like the rear sump looks smart with the glass lids. Is it helping reduce evap at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  8. tyger

tyger Registered

Will put some more photos on in a few days just spent £300 on corals but they are sat on the bottom at the moment aclimatising. The rear sum is really cool no messing under the tank, with it only being 6" wide it has a fast water flow through the 20Kg of live rock in the back, better filtration. I can still get another 10g + in there yet, also I have two baffled compatments with nothing in yet, so far I am finding it soooo much easier than my old aquareef 400 to maintain.
    I'm not sure what the evaporation would be with out the glass lids but I am doing a water change every two week and only topping up 2 litres max in between and my water temp is up at 78 degrees.
    I've just been reading your fire place thread, (cool) you mentioned keeping it simple, well, I'm running live rock and skimmer only and these are my latest test results
    salinity 1.026
    nitrates 5
    phosphates below .03
    calcium 440
    KH 8.8
    magnesium 1230
    ph 8.2

9. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

Great looking tank, were you by any chance stood in front of the frag tank today at Cockfields, and Mark cut a coral up for you and then poured some sort of coral stuff into the bag?

10. Matt88

Matt88 Mayor Of London

Tank looks good, I like the long and thin look. Something different :cool:

11. tyger

tyger Registered

Yep that was us, blond wife and a baldy looking all excited like a kid in a sweet shopHysterical I,m new on salty box im normally on another forum but find salty much more friendly its were i have now nailed my flag too, wish I had known you were there ive only met Nev so far.

12. tyger

tyger Registered

thanks I did fancy a long thin tank but was a little unsure, but now it set up i'm really pleased, funny thing is I had an aquareef 400 before and although i'm now only 300 litres the tank looks bigger becuause of the shape.

13. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

Lol

I was with nev there.

Looked like you were having fun buying them

Having the wife onside is always a bonus I showed mine the 6 chromis and she just said my turtles would love them and walked off

Always another time to meet anyway I think im gonna kickstart a shops day out thread as we havent had one in ages probably may ish

14. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

If you dont piy more rock in the back, it would leave room for Carbon + Phosphate remover
    which can be added when needed

A very different approach always nice to see

15. tyger

tyger Registered

Always another time to meet anyway I think im gonna kickstart a shops day out thread as we havent had one in ages probably may ish[/QUOTE]

I'm up for that..

16. tyger

tyger Registered

I can get another 10 Kg in the back yet and I still have two empty baffles for carbon if needed later. I'm staying with live rock and skimmer only for the time being as everything so far is bob on.

17. tyger

tyger Registered

18. tyger

tyger Registered

Latest test results....

Nitrate <10
    salt 1.026
    Phosphate 0
    Ph 8.0 +
    Mag 1335
    Cal 440
    Kh 10.5
    Sooooo pleased as posted earlier all with live rock and skimmer only......tank looks really good :clap::clap::clap:

KEEPING IT CHEAP AND SIMPLE LIKE ITS OWNERHystericalHysterical

19. tyger

tyger Registered

12 weeks old, all coral's growing including Nev's SPS.:clap: all param's spot on, i love this pro reef salt,so far 5 gallon water change once every two weeks with no other dosing, mag alk and calcium all stable. just taken a chance on a chalk goby, I know it's a bit early but he's got a large seeded sand bed and eat,s like mad from my pipette, also added Paddy my emerald crab.

20. screwloose

screwloose Registered

looking good dude,,and good to see sps staying alive too :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice