1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 350 black

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by nodster, Jul 22, 2015.

1. nodster

nodster Registered

Hay [MENTION=22835]CEECH[/MENTION] I'm still alive matey Hysterical tank plodding along although what with work , moving daughter into new home also preparing back garden for a overhaul for summer I've not had much time for it , I'm still dosing the vibrant and I'm seeing some improvements but I really need to pull the grass off the back wall and do a big tidy up , but as per usual I'm busy today laying laminate in her new home , I thought when kids grew up they didn't need parents as much but I was wrong , tomorrow I've got concrete posts and kick boards being delivered to mine then its a night shift for me Fri till tues , on top of all that I pulled a muscle in my back so that hurts like hell

Apart from all that I'm fine Big Thumbs Up

2. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Wow i see you have your hands full at the minute. Is the sea slug not working on the hair algae ? Also a true mexican turbo might help with it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. nodster

nodster Registered

Hair algae still bad mate the sea slug and my Mexican turbo all bit the dust no idea why as all other inverts are fine , need to get a better long handle scraper for back wall

4. CEECH

CEECH Registered

A nice blade scrapper is what you need to attack that back wall. Strange that they died. How are your levels looking

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

5. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

My algae blenny loves gha, as does my urchin.... Between them and coupled with a move to a slightly larger tank, I'm now practically gha free

Apparently yellow tangs love the stuff as well.

I lost my sea hare too.... Found him down the back of my rockscape having turned to foul smelling mush!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

6. CEECH

CEECH Registered

How the tank doing buddy ? you must be flat out working not seen you in a while we need update pictures :)

7. nodster

nodster Registered

Ok guys I haven't dropped off the earth yet , as most of you know I've had real problems with my tank and hair algae , tried API algae fix ( don't use this ) and then vibrant to no avail tank was a mess all inverts and corals just went to fishy heaven , fish were all fine apart from a few that jumped for freedom .

Got so bad I nearly packed in but thought battle on so decided quick fix remedies weren't the answer and went and did a lot of water changes and dosed nopox also running pellets small amount and lastly a small bag of phosguard . Many will say shouldn't run all these things together and probably right but I will say this the hair algae is all gone :clap:

Sand bed is clumping together a bit on the top at the other side of tank that my chalk goby doesn't class as home so got to do something about that , maybe another goby but no idea if that will turn into world war

After all the jumpers I've had which is 3 now I've bit the bullet and ordered a tank cover , which will open up new fish that I know jump , once the cover arrives of course

Anyways I've been to local today and bought a few tester corals and snails two leather corals and a colony of zoa hopefully these will survive being softies anyways at the moment there fully inflated and open so fingers crossed , 6 turbo snails in there and are ok for now

heres my biggest gripe what gives with photobucket wanting a lot of money for being able to post my pics on here smiley-sex020 any suggestions for a new picture host site that's free

Ranted on a bit on this post and sorry for that , will post some pictures once I get any suggestions on where to put these

8. merser

merser Registered

I just click add photo?!

I wouldn't have put you off using those three things mate. Arguably, nopox and pearls do the same thing but it's all good if you've sorted it mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. nodster

nodster Registered

Hey thanks [MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION] for that yeah I agree all do same thing , pellets haven't been on long so wont be seeded or working I don't think yet , I'm just glad the hair algae has gone mate was a long battle , hmm trying to figure out the add photo bit , do you mean insert image tab

10. nodster

nodster Registered

P1017385.jpg

Just trying this picture of how bad hair algae was

Ha and it worked nice call [MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION]

11. merser

merser Registered

HHa dead easy

12. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Hi, good to hear from you and to see your still in the hobby.

I still have not got a tank cover and really limits your options for sure. I might bite the bullet and get one just so that I can keep some more wrasse and anthias.

Let us know how the tank goes bud

Paul

13. nodster

nodster Registered

Hi [MENTION=22434]Fishpalace[/MENTION] yes I'm still here Paul but only just nearly gave it up , just goes to show though no need for the quick fix products that don't work and the better maintenance schedule worked a treat , just got to keep up with it now Big Thumbs Up just lazy in the old age ill try and get some pictures up later , yeah hoping the cover comes tomoz or latest Tues and will see how it looks on the tank , theres another plus to it which I didn't think of till the dog was bouncing about when I got up there wont be no more dog hair in tank , husky sure sheds a lot Hysterical plans for coral now I'm thinking going a softy route at first

14. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Makes sense.

Clean it up, stabilise parameters and then go for some softies and zoas maybe. Chalice are fairly low main too.

Paul

15. nodster

nodster Registered

That's the plan mate half dozen turbo snails in there now cleaning up ,had a look first thing this morning and they are fine , hoping all the water changes have got rid of the algae fix (nasty stuff ) and will see if they survive over next week , I've two leather corals in there now and both are looking great , zoo colony is doing fine , the tank I think has fully recovered now fingers crossed , bidding on a load of zoa on the bay , cheap ones some named but most not , I'm not into paying loads for a small frag whatever there called Hysterical , just got to dig test kits out now I've walked the dog and have a look at them

16. nodster

nodster Registered

Testing done

Nitrate 2
    Phosphate 0 or maybe 0.03 hard to tell
    Alkalinity 7.7
    Calcium 500+ hopefully start to drop once coral and inverts start using it
    Magnesium 1350

Could be wrong but high calcium could that be the cause of my sand clumping up a bit or is it just not getting turned over enough , like I've said the sand is fine where the chalk goby is

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice