1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 350 black

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by nodster, Jul 22, 2015.

1. feeblebob

feeblebob Registered

Oh absolutely, my point being that I've had them (I guess) for the 2 years that the 400 has been up and they've never been an issue in the same way others see them. Just another critter in the system :)

2. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I cant say mine have ever gone near anything either. I do remove them if i see them though. I dont mind them in the sump. pretty much anything that is in there can stay lol.
    Well good that you are getting things back on track buddy :) When all is sorted we need some pictures :)

3. nodster

nodster Registered

I can't be 100% sure but I did see a few of them around and on the Rasta then next day no more Rasta , I've heard different stories on starfish and depends on what sort you end up with , blues just come on and I can't count them all theres that many . I too thought not a problem with them but reading different reports and I'm thinking get rid as a precaution especially once sorted I want more zoa but not in proportion of the madman [MENTION=22835]CEECH[/MENTION] :lol:

4. nodster

nodster Registered

Think I need to post some pictures of the mess too [MENTION=22835]CEECH[/MENTION]

5. CEECH

CEECH Registered

lol me a mad man. I just know what i like lol. I have some list of zoa now lol and more to come :) look below lol

6. CEECH

CEECH Registered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have more just dont know name or cant remember lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

7. nodster

nodster Registered

That's some list there [MENTION=22835]CEECH[/MENTION] , I've been to lfs and got some new additions but sadly no harlequin shrimp did get some photos just before the battery died on me ill post them up in a bit once charged

Said my wp wave maker pump died on me and ordered a rw-8 yesterday well it arrived today now that's some postal delivery that was free too , so its installed now and slave to my other rw-4 what a difference in flow blowing the tank around and clearing lots of debris up Big Thumbs Up

So on with the purchases I got two Mexican turbo snails lfs had just got them in which annoyed me a bit as I ordered two for delivery tomoz and cost a package for delivery but never mind ill have four Mexican in there helping the algae breakout

Also a blue tuxedo urchin that's a little stunner

Last but not least a sea hare that hopefully will mow the algae down , not a big lover of sea hare to be fair and mortality rates not great but I'm giving it every chance as he's acclimatising four about 3 hour

I'm hoping these additions in conduction with better housekeeping will bring the algae under control , plan is once algae gone ill move the sea hare on to fellow salty box members that need one

Pictures to follow Big Thumbs Up

8. nodster

nodster Registered

Heres my grassland pictures [MENTION=22835]CEECH[/MENTION] Hysterical smiley-sex020

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So heres what's going to attack it all hopefully Mexican turbo and sea hare , didn't catch photo of urchin .

Also some coral shots , oh and if you ask [MENTION=22835]CEECH[/MENTION] those zoa in first picture are captain America Big Thumbs Up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  9. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Lol get the lawn mower out. Maybe an algae bleeny could munch some. Funny you mentioned the zoa lol i was going to mention the name lol. Corals look healthy though. I hate algae. After my fish crash the bubble was driving me mad so that was the push to strip it all out.

10. nodster

nodster Registered

Yep it needs a strimmer alright [MENTION=22835]CEECH[/MENTION] buddy now that I've sorted some cuc out and hopefully get parameters under control it will go away , all corals are doing well to be fair mate

11. CEECH

CEECH Registered

The coral look good. That sea slug will munch away on that hair algae so it will

12. nodster

nodster Registered

So done some tests this morning heres results

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Silicates 0
    Phosphate 0
    Nitrate 10
    Calcium 390
    Alkalinity 9.5
    Magnesium 1450

All in all a lot better readings than the other day and on those parameters I've taken the phosguard offline and just relying on nopox dosing
    Ive also dosed some calcium to get it up to where it needs to be , I would say I will test this again in a couple of days if I've enough regent left smiley-sex020 need to order a new calcium kit

2 more Mexican turbo snails arrived this morning and are way bigger than the ones I got at lfs just acclimating at minute

The sea hare bedded down in a corner and when blues came on I noticed algae around him was all gone , he done a number on it overnight and I'm surprised how much he ate Big Thumbs Up

Tuxedo urchin has maybe moved an inch overnight on back wall , but he cleaned that inch up a good one Hysterical

Moved a bit of rockwork around as my plate coral was getting covered in sand and dug up a conch snail that I haven't seen in 6 month maybe , thought he was a gonna but left it on sand and good job I did 5 mins later he's walking over sand to a new bit to munch on Big Thumbs Up

13. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Sounds like things are going in the right direction buddy.

14. nodster

nodster Registered

Yep going right again matey sea hair now on a mission constantly munching Big Thumbs Up

15. penzo

penzo Registered

Horrible looking they are,but do a good job,you'll be algae free in no time.

16. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Some nice additions and cool photos of last 2 corals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. feeblebob

feeblebob Registered

I pondered on a sea hare for my 400, can rent one from LFS, but still think a total tear down and rebuild will fix the root issue... :(

Good job on getting that phosphate down so fast ;)

18. nodster

nodster Registered

Ha ha wife thinks they look cute [MENTION=20021]penzo[/MENTION] "strange woman " must admit he's doing a good job

Hi [MENTION=22434]Fishpalace[/MENTION] yeah those corals are bullet proof don't matter how much I make a fubar they seem to do well , the sps coral was only a small piece when I got it now its a good grapefruit size , [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION] brought me another a while ago which is on other side of tank and that's thriving too
    The acan I got pretty cheap at 35 quid ages ago and is my current favourite

Yeah the phosguard really does suck phos out quick and didn't use that much [MENTION=23592]feeblebob[/MENTION] , need to test again in a few days once the night shifts are over with to see if still where it should be bearing in mind I'm using salifert test kits so not the best but will do

19. nodster

nodster Registered

Big Thumbs Up Little update again tank is ticking over my third attempt at keeping a vampire tang is going great he's a hungry boy always eating Big Thumbs Up gets on with the other tangs now . The sea slug continues to munch algae and doing a fine job on the back wall clearing areas and then moving on to new pastures :clap: I did order some API algae fix from America to help with the algae , hasn't arrived yet and am thinking may not use it as the critters are doing a good job do need some thoughts on this product from other users as mixed reviews , will take some time to get rid of algae patience is key and let the critters do the job I suppose

Water change due tomoz but will test shortly to see how its progressing parameter wise

20. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I would leave the slug clean the lot other than adding anything to the tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice