1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 350 black

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by nodster, Jul 22, 2015.

1. trout

trout Registered

What is on your sand bed appears to be cyanobacteria.

What you photographed on your montipora are montipora-eating nudibranches. This is a bad news. Please check all your montiporas in the dark with a bright torch and report back. It is because of these pests that I can never buy Montipora colonies from anyone, unless they are tiny frags, so that I can brush them as well as dipping them.

2. nodster

nodster Registered

I will check them trout thanks for that mate as I've never seen then before I wouldn't know but when they were in the pipette they were swimming in a wavelike fashion , dunno bout cyano shout though I've had it before in my tank and it don't look nothing like this , but hey you maybe right I've got some ultralife I will give it a shot Big Thumbs Up

3. nodster

nodster Registered

Was sick of the brown, green sand bed so siphon cleaned it doing water change wow did it smell in my changing tub but got most of sand looking something like it now , going to give it an hour or so then check my calc/alk and mag levels to see if water change brought levels back up , if not then the doser gets put online

4. trout

trout Registered

Do you have sand stirring CUCs, such as conches, star fish, cucumber, snails, etc. If not, I would consider getting a few. Failing that manual stirring (assuming that you do not have a deep sand bed) is usually a good practice to prevent detritus build up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  5. nodster

nodster Registered

Yes trout I got a conch yesterday and 5 blue legged hermit looking to get some of those snail that bury themselves with there snout sticking up " forgot name " and also I saw a chalk goby in the shop yesterday and for the life of me don't now why I didn't buy him will go Moro and see if still there . My sand bed I would say is bout 2 to 3 inch in places will have to look into cucumbers Thanks for that trout

6. merser

merser Registered

I swear by my chalk goby. I wouldn't be without one.

7. nodster

nodster Registered

Chalk goby it is then thanks merser Big Thumbs Up

8. trout

trout Registered

I have three orange-lipped conches and a sand stirring star fish. They keep my sand bed in pristine conditions at all times.

Before buying a cucumber, please do your research carefully. Most cucumbers can poison your tank if they are threatened or die. In addition, the sand grains need to be small for them to process the sand. The snails you got are called Nassarius vibex.

9. nodster

nodster Registered

Hmm think I will stick to the salad cucumber then on that advice , Nassarius snail new somebody would remember name Thanks trout

10. dannydization

dannydization Registered

looking good [MENTION=23241]nodster[/MENTION] pain in the ass about them pests il looking at getting a sand sifting and half a dozen nassarius snails when i can put stock in

11. nodster

nodster Registered

Thanks dannydization yes I keep looking in the night and not seen no more of them , doesn't mean there not there but I did check the corals I have and I can't see any egg clutches, to be fair they didn't look like any nudibranch once in my pipette , but will be vigilant. Sand sifting starfish I'm not that bothered about to be fair mate never really liked them

12. nodster

nodster Registered

So having checked my parameters day after water change calcium, alk and mag are still dropping slowly so time to put doser online , :fool: took me a while doing the math but I think I got it will check in 2 days and see if I'm inline or probably not :lol: heres pictures of doser and my expensive dosing containers cost me 12 pounds oh sorry meant pints

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New addition after being in quarantine tank thought id show picture
    Indian ocean sailfin tang juvenile

[​IMG]

On merser next one he tempted me and I went and bit the bait Big Thumbs Up bit crappy pic phone wouldn't focus

Chalky the chalk goby

[​IMG]

Last one is my conch snail that uses the corner of tank to turn round and go other way comical

[​IMG]

Note to self clean glass before taking photos

13. merser

merser Registered

Haha you'll love the goby. I have a few conches and they are good fun to watch. Do a good job too.

14. nodster

nodster Registered

Thanks merser yep he's a busy bee like a mini hoover mowing the lawn , "chalky" out already chucking sand through his gills , he is ace glad I got him great character and fun to watch Big Thumbs Up

15. nodster

nodster Registered

So I new I was rubbish at math Doing 12 doses of 2 mil of alk raised my Level by .6 so have dropped that to ten doses will check tomorrow or day after also with calcium 6 doses at 1 mil raised it by 15 so have dropped that to 4 doses hopefully this will keep levels constant for now , I've also added small amount of mag ie 2 cap full and raised it to nearly what I need it to be

16. dannydization

dannydization Registered

nice additions mate

17. dannydization

dannydization Registered

hope all is going well with the tank mate

18. CEECH

CEECH Registered

How is the tank doing budddy ?

19. dannydization

dannydization Registered

he's gone quiet on us :dft004: [MENTION=23241]nodster[/MENTION] you still with us?

20. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Knock Knock [MENTION=23241]nodster[/MENTION] :taz:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice