1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 350 black

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by nodster, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Good call, I would do the same and let it settle for a while. Clowns are great and would then let it settle some more.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. nodster

nodster Registered

I'm in no hurry lads big upheaval from all the cleaning and rock scape so existing fish knead a bit of time to bed in.

3. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Absolutely.

I am a big fan of the add fish really slowly and big gaps in between.

I have added 2 fish in 12 months and both are within the past 3 months. bioload has increased massively from existing fish as moved nopox dosing from 1ml to 13 ml per day but depends on which type of fish too as I have a regal and vampire which have both grown massively (vampire is probably 7 inches and regal 6 inches) and probably the equivalent of 10 to 12 smaller fish) If I had added fish in between this I think I would have had problems as bioload would be too much for set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. nodster

nodster Registered

I agree about not adding too many fish quickly currently I've 8 in mine indian ocean sailfin tang , regal tang , yellow wrasse , peacock wrasse and four chromis all happy together .

Lost a few fish latest being my 2 clowns , so I'm getting water to were I want it and also keep the eyes out for any indication of parasites namely w/s before I'm even thinking about another pair of clowns

5. nodster

nodster Registered

So this afternoon I did water change , made my barrel change a bit stronger on the salt as the reefer was reading 1.024 anyways just tested again and back upto 1.026 after the change , bang on Big Thumbs Up

Water tests just done , here results are in

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    nitrate 5
    Phosphate 0
    Silicates 0
    Calcium 385 adjustment needed
    Alkalinity 9.5
    Magnesium 1440

Not bad to say I've redone the rockscape and totally scrubbed the algae off the tank thought the nitrates would have been higher

Kept having problems with my skimmer , work fine after a quick clean then a few hours later no much bubbling goodness , then had a brainwave and stuck tubing down the air intake hole and seems there was a small blockage hopefully be cured will find out tonight if its worked or not

Sand was starting to discolour up again even before the clean up anyways just looking about and can't find my white goby or remember seeing him before clean up so seems like another fish has gone to heaven smiley-sex020 looking at remaining fish and there showing no sign of w/s however the peacock wrasse is flashing the sand so don't look too good

Thinking bottle of medic is needed , mixed reviews on this stuff but will see once I get some

Cyano still not shifting so give it a few more days and its getting red slime remover

Aiptasia nems have been nuked with out of date aip-x will see if it works

Apart from all that everything hunky dori battle on

6. merser

merser Registered

Sounds like a proper job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

If it is WS then I would go for polyp lab medic immediately and up feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

8. Scott

Scott Registered

Each to their own opinion... my opinion is medic is useless... just feed little and often and fish should be fine... especially if only one is flashing and it isnt showing any spot. Dont go getting stupid as its probably something or nothing... but as i say IMO. (But its not failed me yet.... lol

9. dannydization

dannydization Registered

[MENTION=23241]nodster[/MENTION] glad to see things are starting to fall back into place pal. Shame about pote tial signs of WS

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

10. nodster

nodster Registered

Will be waiting till w/end anyways before getting anything so will give me chance to confirm/deny w/s I feed quiet often anyways guys , the fish are happy and no sign on their skins of w/s and are feeding well just been watching and both wrasse are scratching on occasion on the sand bed

Looks like my skimmer is ok now after getting rid of blockage , the aip_x seems to have got the two aips I had time will tell

Corals look fine and healthy Big Thumbs Up

Onwards and upwards guys

11. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I had WS on 2 fish back in Feb and used it along with increased feeding from day one of outbreak and spots went within 10 days. I cannot prove that it worked or not and if it happens again I would use same treatment ( have a bottle on standby).

It is one of those things that an individual needs to decide what to do and then take action. What I have seen in a number of threads on other forums is no action taken and by about day 5 or 7 action is taken and fish die.

It definitely makes sense to increase feeding with little and often as this sounds like it builds strength to fight it off but again just an assumption.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

12. merser

merser Registered

And here lies the issue with WS. If you use medic and it clears up we naturally attribute it to the medic but we never know if that is the source. It could be. It could also be the fish naturally fighting it off which could've happened without medic. This debate goes on forever on forums and Facebook.

Personally, I follow the science. [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION] and I disagree slightly on the topic but the science absolutely proves that polymedic doesn't cure WS. It doesn't prove that it may do enough to allow fish to fight it. Many anecdotal accounts of it doing just that.

Until someone develops a cure we will continue to debate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. city1111

city1111 Registered

Wrasse can flick the bottom looking for food.....:stupid:im a non believer on poly lab and for the price, it doesn't state once it is a cure, cleverly worded, it may slow the cycle down a bit and then the fishes natural immunity takes over...ive had ws a couple of times in the last set up and fed more frequently with garlic nori, garlic puree mixed in with frozen to soak and added vitamin drops with it and crank the uv up, never lost a fish with ws....but with this velvet I lost nearly all fish within 48 hrs, which makes me think sometimes people who have quick wipouts thinking its ws and it actually isn't? Who knows just my 2 pence worth :pleasantry:

14. nodster

nodster Registered

I agree totally with all that all of you guys have said [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION] [MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION] and [MENTION=22434]Fishpalace[/MENTION] I used medic twice before once it worked totally and another time it didn't , was there anything different between the two times , of course different fish and set ups and circumstances, until there is proof on a medication that works on all reef tanks the debate will go on , the first time I used it it seamed to be the answer to my prayers but there were a lot of factors involved , health of fish in first place has got to be the number one issue a good healthy fish in my own opinion will always fight of these things and become immune to the point it doesn't bother it , not to say it doesn't show all the symptoms of w/s because they do but they survive no problem , its when you add another fish that you've just bought that will go down hill fast , which is what is happening in my tank at moment , two fish added a month ago both succumbed within a week or so and all showed symptoms

15. city1111

city1111 Registered

Have you got a uv or ozone mate, might help to keep it down till they build there immune system up , along with extra feeding , garlic etc?

16. Scott

Scott Registered

Funkin hell..... pass me the smelling salts!

Nearly keeled over then!

No way.... merser you ill? Pi55ed???

We AGREE ON SOMETHING....

*DUMPH* SOUND AS HITS FLOOR

17. nodster

nodster Registered

Hysterical [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION] that's just funny as

No [MENTION=22562]city1111[/MENTION] I'm not that posh mate to own those things , I'm a tight ar.. , I do own an aquarium controller though but just depends on what time she gets out of bed Hysterical

18. CEECH

CEECH Registered

HystericalHysterical

Good to see things are getting back in place. For sure the WS saga will go on i suppose you just have to see what works for you. [MENTION=22434]Fishpalace[/MENTION] has had success with medication and extra feeding. [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION] has sucess with extra feeding as well as [MENTION=22562]city1111[/MENTION] i use garlic oil and vitamins in my food everyday but i guess it different for all. 1 thing i know is i feed plenty but my fuge seems to help control my N03 levels :)

19. nodster

nodster Registered

Yeah think I definitely have it both tangs are scratching today as well as wrasse , all eating well and only regal tang showing a few white spots , it is what it is and see what happens upto w/end

Out of date aip_x looks to have worked well no sign of the aips

Going to blast the Cyano tomoz with a spare pump and pipe , as well as rest of rockwork

Corals look fine and full extension on all polyps

Skimmer not missed a beat since I unblocked the air intake , can't believe with me cleaning it 3 times I didn't spot that Hysterical

20. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

I used Ruby Reefs Kick Ich as I didn't have a quarantine/hospital tank (it's safe for corals and inverts). I didn't lose a single fish and it cleared the tank of the parasites (assuming white spot and Ich are the same thing, ish?).

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice