1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 350 black

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by nodster, Jul 22, 2015.

1. nodster

nodster Registered

Adventure so far wife decides that the tank smells so did weekly water change yesterday and thought to go get carbon, did I go to expensive lfs not likely decided to pay local garden centre as I new they did a few marines, anyways got there and low and behold they have extended their marine selection including sps corals so bought cheap carbon and found reef paste Big Thumbs Up but when I got home I found a coral had fallen in my bag for 15 quid :whistling: good size frag at same size as my palm " thinking red monti cap heres a picture.
    [​IMG]

Also can you name this frag for me as for the life of me I can't remember what it is , but it always has great polyp extension

[​IMG]

2. nodster

nodster Registered

Also did tests today results as follows

Sg 1.026
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5
    Phos 0
    Kh 9.5
    Mag 1330

Calcium I'm waiting on test kit delivery but above amounts seem good to me Big Thumbs Up

3. merser

merser Registered

Top one looks like an encrusting montipora to me. Sure it has a posh name. Other one is a fibreoptic poccillopora I think.

4. nodster

nodster Registered

Dunno merser thought it was a cap seems to be reddish/purple with blue polyps if it an encrusting then my placement is wrong see if I can get a better picture as that one a bit blurry ,pocillopora that's the name I was looking for thanks fella put it in calmer flow and all polyps are out great

5. nodster

nodster Registered

Heres a better picture of it merser think you may be correct

[​IMG]

Some more pictures of the frags I got from burscough aquatics all seem to be doing ok

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of inhabitants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dannydization

dannydization Registered

looking good mate looking good

7. nodster

nodster Registered

Thanks dannydization its starting to come along although tank still looks empty lol

8. merser

merser Registered

Tbf I think it must be a plating monti. If it was encrusting it wouldn't have come off in one piece like that I don't think.

9. nodster

nodster Registered

It was laid on egg crate so maybe your right like you said merser think it would have rapped round egg crate it has an indentation where it was on a square frag plug at one time and I saw many frags on these , will leave it and see what happens

10. nodster

nodster Registered

Bit of an update been busy this morning usual tank related stuff cleaned glass all round including the back , I did add 4 blue/green chromis yesterday ( most 'probably end up with one as chromis do ) swapped filter socks over , is it a bit much doing that weekly ? . Skimmer has now started to kick in finally and pulling some real dark crap out . Diatoms are still all over the sand but not worried with that , so did a round of tests and heres results

Sg. 1.026
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5
    Phosphate 0
    Calcium 425
    Kh 9.6
    Magnesium 1310

So pretty much stable sand still sucking up mag by the looks but once I do w/c it goes back up again a little bit . Not much else to update on corals all seem fine , once w/end comes think I need some cuc .

Many Thanks all happy reefing Big Thumbs Up

11. tyger

tyger Registered

I hate messing with filter socks. ....I just stuck a colander in my sump and chucked some floss in there. ..so just swap floss when needed.

12. nodster

nodster Registered

Nice one tyger yes the wife would agree as I chuck the socks in her washer Hysterical that wouldn't be so bad but leaving her whites in there as well she don't half throw a wobbler :thumbup1:

13. tyger

tyger Registered

Think you're supposed to take the clothes out first lol

14. nodster

nodster Registered

Ya know mate I wondered y she kept having a bf HystericalHystericalHysterical

15. nodster

nodster Registered

So happy to report after 4 long days at work and on 4 days off I can devote a bit more time to the reefer , everything seems ok as of this morn but getting annoyed with the diatoms they don't want to burn themselves out , so will be off to lfs later thinking blue legged hermits and a conch snail to see if that helps it along , also more coral frags , pity no one near where I live to get frags off member wise but it is what it is . Coral wise the frags I have all ok and am seeing growth specially the hystrix where I chopped burnt ends off are growing shoots already out off them all in two week which really surprized me , pictures to follow as and when

16. dannydization

dannydization Registered

Happy days glad its coming on leaps and bounds mate shame about the diatoms its nauseating isnt it

17. nodster

nodster Registered

Diatoms getting on me nerves to be honest I'm two weeks in and it ain't shifting so I've reduced my light cycle this morning , wife want supermarket I want lfs so guess I'm the loser again , trolley skittles it will be when she gets off her behind Hysterical

18. dannydization

dannydization Registered

lol you should of gone lfs and you wife done the shopping lol

19. Kaiser99

Kaiser99 Registered

I struggled with algea for months until I added a tmc 600 uv.... Overnight it seemed to disappear

20. nodster

nodster Registered

Thanks for the info kaiser99 me thinks I may go that route if all else fails, dannydization sorry mate but if I did that there would not be a fish tank :lol: so good news and bad , do the good first , done my tests and heres results compared to 5 days ago

Mon 3rd Aug 2015. sat 8th Aug 2015
    Sg 1.026 sg 1.026
    Ammonia 0 ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0 nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5 nitrite 5
    Phosphate 0 phosphate 0
    Calcium425 calcium 410
    Kh 9.6 kh 9.1
    Magnesium 1310 magnesium 1290

Looking at these results I'm steadily loosing calc,kh and mag , water change schedule for tomorrow will test again to see if it brings levels back up , all over values will do me Big Thumbs Up

So what else is good I'm just acclimatising new additions heres some picks in there bags :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also took some pictures of the hystrix before and after in the space of a couple of weeks since buying it and clipping burnt bits off , must like my placement is all I can put it down to and water quality

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

So on we go to picture of my skimmer with the crap its been pulling out over the last week that's some dark n dirty mess in them there cavern :thumbup1:

[​IMG]

Heres my sand bed as you can see its brown diatoms with a splash of green for some lucky little cuc to claim it for lunch

[​IMG]

Then comes the bad :012: after dipping the monti plate in coral Rx when I received it and all clear no pests while taking close up with my phone camera I noticed these pesky blighters on it , straight away I'm thinking flats worm so got a pipette and sucked them off , there must have been eggs on it when received and ive not seen them , so I know there will be more of them in my tank now but will keep eye out while off for 4 days for any more I caught about 9 of them , if I find any more it looks like its a box of flatworm exit , not the end of the world

Before sucking em off

[​IMG]

Then after

[​IMG]

So that's my update done good and bad I post it all Thanks for looking and happy reefing all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice