1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 350 black

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by nodster, Jul 22, 2015.

1. nodster

nodster Registered

Ok done some testing this morn with the salifert kits I have at the moment need calcium and phosphate tests as soon as but anyway here are results

Sg 1.025
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite. 0
    Nitrate. 8
    Kh 9.4 dkh
    Mag. 1270

Looking at these they don't look to bad apart from mag needs raising a little but from what I've been informed the new coral sand will soak up the mag "correct me if I'm wrong " for a while till equilibrium , so give it a week and test again to see what I'm losing kh wise and use calculator to give me correct dosage is that what you guys in the know did ?

2. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Those results dont look bad at all , yes i have read that the sand will soak up MG and then stabilise.

3. nodster

nodster Registered

Yeh thanks Ceech I'm pretty pleased with those numbers if I can keep them that way , I've just ordered a salifert phosphate test kit so will be ok for next week when it arrives hopefully phosphate levels are inline as well fingers crossed , god did they cause me some problems in past. Also ordered baking soda and calcium powder ( don't ask for proper name coz I've no idea lol ) then fun and games mixing and dosing something I've no experience with so learning curve there , but be good to finally get the doser online even if haven't got a clue what I'm doing , hope online calculator sorts dosing out for me

4. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I am sure you will be fine there are lots of people on here who can advise you when ity comes to dosing :)

5. tyger

tyger Registered

For me a while with no fish poss. an hour....cool stuff you can see it dispersing.

6. dannydization

dannydization Registered

sound think its coming on leaps and bounds mate keep up the good work

7. nodster

nodster Registered

Nice and steady mate just got to get my head round how much to mix for dosing , the frags I put in are still doing ok polyps still extended , on sand bed at moment and think ill leave for a week before moving them, the clowns and regal tang are fine no probs with them eating like pigs , I am getting a dusting of diatoms on the sand , rock and glass hope they burn themselves out quick

8. dannydization

dannydization Registered

hopefully it soon burns out mate also sorry nodster what water butt do you have?

9. nodster

nodster Registered

Hello dannydization I got this water butt mate 100 litre off flea bay

[​IMG]

10. merser

merser Registered

I use the same one £20 from b&q

11. frazzle121180

frazzle121180 Registered

I use same one, £15 from home bargains. ...I've got 2 of them, sitting on my garden bench for now tho as don't have a pump to draw the water out without using the tap

12. nodster

nodster Registered

I just use tap at moment into bucket or jug for top up , just looked at me tank looks like Halloween hermit bit the bullet :crybaby2:everything else just ticking along at moment , diatoms going through their phase don't expect them to stay too long

13. dannydization

dannydization Registered

ah ok perfect thats exactly the same as the one i have from argos though and good news done the glass test and came out zero so refilled water butt and its now reading zero o happy days :clap:

14. nodster

nodster Registered

Nice one dannydization guess its time to start filling up mate , glad the glass test worked fella Big Thumbs Up

15. dannydization

dannydization Registered

good shot that was mate to be fair yeah been super busy with the house today so going to start filling tomorrow

16. nodster

nodster Registered

So deliveries this morning , Salifert phosphate test kit , calcium , and baking soda , test kit first up did the test and Big Thumbs Up 0 reading did it twice just to be sure so hey presto happy days , going to test alkalinity this afternoon same time as 3 days ago that should give me a usage daily amount , got to nip to bnq later to get some black shelving to tidy cupboard area up , plus a water change due today so busy day , thought we were meant to relax when on holidays

17. dannydization

dannydization Registered

happy days all coming together for you nicely [MENTION=23241]nodster[/MENTION]

18. nodster

nodster Registered

coming together now all , said yesterday thought Halloween hermit bit the bullet but apparently it had just shed its skin happy days , been to bnq and every where else couldn't find any black shelving so called in local bargain shop just round the corner from me and found a black glass floating shelf correct size that will go on back wall ( don't want to drill cabinet ) will get pictures up tomorrow once I fit it , can't be bothered now to do it lol

19. nodster

nodster Registered

So as promised heres the shelf installed I just used longer screws than the ones supplied with shelf so I could put spaces in to set it off the wall a bit , this way I can feed wires down the back , just got my heater controller box on at mo but enough room for doser to fit on , some more shots of tank and and the coral crags just moved off the sand , left plugs on to see if they take to new positions , as you can see diatoms in bloom at mo all on over the place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all your support

20. dannydization

dannydization Registered

Looking good mate

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice