1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured 350 black

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by nodster, Jul 22, 2015.

1. nodster

nodster Registered

Hello all , my name is Tony and I've had reef tanks for bout ten years with all the ups and downs that entails with that , so after house was modernised decided on a new tank and wife didn't want my old scratched noisy 50 gallon to be set up again , so I introduced her to the red sea reefer 350 videos :whistling: and she was hooked , so birthday boy here got a new tank ha ha . Using old equipment that run the 50 and also stocking on new items , so heres the build .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tyger

tyger Registered

exciting times

3. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Good to see you back :)

4. nodster

nodster Registered

So once cabinet was assembled I had already got the light brackets to the wall which are TV mounts I got off flea bay bargain at 19 quid a pair they also included a wire tidy feature which worked fine for my lights I was using , 165 watt Chinese full spectrum units . This and a bit of d-line cable tidy made it look good without the need for clipping any brackets to tank IE radion mount or hanging wires to ceiling , to get access to tank with they being TV mounts they swivel away and give me enough space for diving in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tyger

tyger Registered

Nice.... very neat.

6. nodster

nodster Registered

Thanks tyger and Ceech yes exciting dont do It justice mate and yes ceech good to be back just getting all picks and progress up again after rollback

7. tyger

tyger Registered

Ive not seen it before as I more or less quite SB after the upgrade so all new to me.

8. nodster

nodster Registered

Isn't that the point of rollback mate there were far fewer people on here with the issues everyone was having , I didn't have the problems people were reporting so was lucky , once all posted updates to thread tyger will go and nosey at your thread bud Big Thumbs Up

9. tyger

tyger Registered

Keep em coming

10. nodster

nodster Registered

So on it goes with display on sump in , my crappy jade skimmer Hysterical which is gonna get replaced I hooked upto a converted phosban 150 to run bio pellets, and the fill progress which was easy really as id already run the water off before getting tank . 25 kg of dry coral sand and using red sea pro salt , rock was mixture of Marco and reef saver which I had curing for about 3 months prior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Getting there buddy :) wish [MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION] would take inspiration now lol

12. nodster

nodster Registered

Also got myself a doser which I haven't hooked up yet only a two part will add magnesium by hand at mo and just put alk/calc on it now once tank was up and running it took basically a very quick cycle to get a bit of nitrate showing and 0 ammonia/nitrite and away I went . I must have to say that the build quality of red sea reefer are the best I've seen and when they say silent overflow they mean silent , once id dialled her in I kept having to check to see if any water was running down lol , merser will back me up with the quality my only gripe is the atu tank is really not good two days of top up is about all I'm getting but apart from that all is good , currently my return pump is an ocean runner and I can hear a slight hum from it will have to invest on a quieter model at some stage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also have got a titanium 300 watt heater hooked upto a stc 1000 I've also put another plug socket onto the box to put a fan on it for cooling if needed , need to get a black shelf unit to fit into the storage area so I can mount the doser unit and tidy up a bit

13. tyger

tyger Registered

coming along quickly lol.

14. nodster

nodster Registered

I do have fish in tank now two common clowns and a regal tang only juvenile so maybe an inch and half long will get pictures up as soon as , we live in Wakefield and wife wants to go visit burscough aquatics for a look :whistling: 2 hour drive and will be first time visit , what's betting I dont come home empty handed Big Thumbs Up thanks Ceech you already seen all these pictures , oh have to go wife is getting impatient, glad its not just me into hobby will update a bit when return , happy reefing guys and gals

15. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Looking well...

Regards to dosing, you should only need to dose Mg at the start once your sandbed has soaked enough up & it's stabalised itself it wont be as demanding so you should only need to regulalry dose Ca & Kh

16. Hazey

Hazey Registered

There's no chance you visiting Steve's & coming away empty handed....your plastics gonna melt :w00t:

It takes me an hour to get to Steve's & it's defo the best shop in the NW IMO

17. CEECH

CEECH Registered

My plastic melts full stop once i enter a fish store lol
    But this wedding is not melting it :lol: it is completely :gun_bandana:it to pieces. At least you can reform if it melts lol
    Another 4.5k on photos and video :-( thats a frucking tank :-(

18. nodster

nodster Registered

Thanks hazey for the info on mag mate will keep my eye on my parameters so as you know I took a drive to burscough aquatics took me an hour and half all I can say is wow compared to my local lfs there is no competition Steve place beats it hands down , so did I come away with anything , you bet I did wife and kids looking round the fish me I'm taking in the corals and variety he has . Took a look at his spas collection and that was me counting the wallet space , so I've taken off steves hand 6 frags that were priced at 8 each quid however one coral had burnt tips so got that as a freebie will have to put clippers to it ,see if I can save it and he threw me two for price of one , 32 quid for 6 frags I was well chuffed so ride home dropped into birch services for food , double whopper with cheese meal later set off home and frags are now floating in bags around my display once I'm threw acclimatising I will get pictures of pieces .

19. dannydization

dannydization Registered

Looking good [MENTION=23241]nodster[/MENTION] keep it coming

20. tomtucker

tomtucker Registered

looking good Big Thumbs Up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice