Ged is offline Mid-Life Crisis
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Tank Progress With Bio Pearls

Quote Originally Posted by RedDiver
    Just read this thread from start to finish. Great read guys. I will be keeping tabs on the developments. For info, I have been running NP Biopellets for five or six weeks now which is if I'm not mistaken just before the Pearls came along. To be honest, I was gutted as from what I read about them I would probably have preferred to use them. What I will say though is that my nitrates have reduced from 25 to 5 over the period I have been using them so something is working.
    Hi

for the compliments on the thread.

How have you found the pellets?

Nev (screwloose) has had great success with these so far, and he was the one who made my mind up to try this approach. I only chose the pearls as they had a better write up so to speak, and normally a better write up means a better product. However, I have no real idea of what to really expect. I suppose I am looking for an answer to high Nitrates and Phosphates and I believe that the Pearls will achieve this.

I know there is a huge whoo hah on the price difference, but not in a horrible way, more of a questioning type way, as to why, and the general feeling I get is that they are genuinely a better product. The snag is I am comparing my experience to a guy (Nev) who has a twice the size tank as myself, thousands of SPS unlike me, and about 18 years more experience in Marines than I. So this is a learning curve in every respect. I really want to concentrate on SPS but have struggled so much keeping the tank levels in check. Hopefully, with the Pearls I have now combatted the Phosphates and the Nitrates.

At least you have also solved the age old problem of lowering your Nitrates, and hopefully, your tank will continue to thrive. Keep us informed.

RedDiver is offline Hermit Crab
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    Just read this thread from start to finish. Great read guys. I will be keeping tabs on the developments. For info, I have been running NP Biopellets for five or six weeks now which is if I'm not mistaken just before the Pearls came along. To be honest, I was gutted as from what I read about them I would probably have preferred to use them. What I will say though is that my nitrates have reduced from 25 to 5 over the period I have been using them so something is working.
    Hi

Nev (screwloose) has had great success with these so far, and he was the one who made my mind up to try this approach. I only chose the pearls as they had a better write up so to speak, and normally a better write up means a better product. However, I have no real idea of what to really expect. I suppose I am looking for an answer to high Nitrates and Phosphates and I believe that the Pearls will achieve this.

I know there is a huge whoo hah on the price difference, but not in a horrible way, more of a questioning type way, as to why, and the general feeling I get is that they are genuinely a better product. The snag is I am comparing my experience to a guy (Nev) who has a twice the size tank as myself, thousands of SPS unlike me, and about 18 years more experience in Marines than I. So this is a learning curve in every respect. I really want to concentrate on SPS but have struggled so much keeping the tank levels in check. Hopefully, with the Pearls I have now combatted the Phosphates and the Nitrates.

At least you have also solved the age old problem of lowering your Nitrates, and hopefully, your tank will continue to thrive. Keep us informed.
    Hi Ged. My tank is also on the small (tiny) side when compared to Nevs so we're in a similar position there. I have only been keeping marines for just over a year so not too experienced.
    So far the pellets have been working for me. I am only running 250mls+ in a modded Phosban 150 with a MJ1200. I was told that this would not work but after a couple of mods, the pellets are tumbling quite nicely in my opinion. My PO4 has also come down from 0.25ppm to 0.11ppm at the moment but still a fair way to go.
    As for the price. I bought my initial 250mls for 18 plus 2 postage and I see a sponsor on here is doing 500mls of pearls at 39.99 so not a great deal of difference if you are only using a small amount like me. If they start selling the pearls in 250ml batches I might be tempted to buy some and run them alongside the pellets in another Phosban 150 to see if I can get them to fluidise properly and also to make a direct comparison to the pellets. That's for the future though.

Ged
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only been keeping marines for just over a year so not too experienced.
    I started in May 2009 so I am only a few months more experienced then in that case, we are both Marine n00bs in reality. [005.gif]

I am only running 250mls+ in a modded Phosban 150 with a MJ1200
    350g (not sure what that is in mls as that was too complicated to measure) of the Pearls defo do not fluidise using a MaxiJet 1200, and I couldn't really use a wider bore tube as the output on the pump was a snug fit with the tubing I was using. How have you modded it, added wider bore inlets / outlets?

the pellets are tumbling quite nicely in my opinion. My PO4 has also come down from 0.25ppm to 0.11ppm at the moment but still a fair way to go.
    So the pellets do work for both Nitrates and Phosphates, which is what Nev has proven also.

I bought my initial 250mls for 18 plus 2 postage and I see a sponsor on here is doing 500mls of pearls at 39.99
    It's how much you value 40 though ain't it. I was spending a shed load on Rowaphos, so over a year, I am actually better off trying the Pearls, providing of course they work, and every single bit of info I have read, they do. Maybe buy the 500ml in a few months once you have depleted the pellets an try for twice the time?

Have you got a thread on here?

If not why not? :-:o

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How have you modded it, added wider bore inlets / outlets?[quote:1lkj8nsb]The mod(s) were as follows. The inlet/outlet pipes were opened out to 10mm bore diameter as were the two red plates. This made them the same bore diameter as the central tube. This improved bore dia by over 23% which obviously aids flow. I made two additional acrylic baffle plates with approximately 80 x 1.5 mm equi-spaced holes in them. These went just above and below the existing plates. I blocked the bottom end of the central tube up and drilled 8 x 4mm diameter holes around the circumfrence of the tube at a point between the bottom plates. This was done in a rush so I didn't quite get all the hole sizes as I wanted them but they were near enough. If I ever get time I wil post a couple of pice if you are interested. Maybe in the mod section. A picture paints a thousand words as they say. I hope all the above made sense? Oh by the way, my MJ1200 had to have an additional Tee on it to reduce the flow through the reactor [001_smile.gif] .
    Have you got a thread on here?

If not why not? :-:o
    [/quote:1lkj8nsb]No mate. I haven't had the time I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops sorry for the previous post. Just realised that I rambled on a bit too much and deviated from the original thread.

Hazey is online now Administrator
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi

Hi Ged. My tank is also on the small (tiny) side when compared to Nevs so we're in a similar position there. I have only been keeping marines for just over a year so not too experienced.
    So far the pellets have been working for me. I am only running 250mls+ in a modded Phosban 150 with a MJ1200. I was told that this would not work but after a couple of mods, the pellets are tumbling quite nicely in my opinion. My PO4 has also come down from 0.25ppm to 0.11ppm at the moment but still a fair way to go.
    As for the price. I bought my initial 250mls for 18 plus 2 postage and I see a sponsor on here is doing 500mls of pearls at 39.99 so not a great deal of difference if you are only using a small amount like me. If they start selling the pearls in 250ml batches I might be tempted to buy some and run them alongside the pellets in another Phosban 150 to see if I can get them to fluidise properly and also to make a direct comparison to the pellets. That's for the future though.

How have you modded your phosban?
    I have one of those phosbans so would be interested to know what you have done to get the pellets to tumble. I also already run it with a 1200 Maxijet with Rowasphos.

Ta, Dave
    Enter this months competitions

*** Selling Rules ***

My old 3 foot tank HERE

My new 4x2x2 Godiva tank HERE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dave, I'd better not tie the thread up any more with details but I have another 150 that I can mod so I will do it ASAP and post in the relevant section [001_smile.gif].

Ged
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dave, I'd better not tie the thread up any more with details but I have another 150 that I can mod so I will do it ASAP and post in the relevant section [001_smile.gif].

No worries from me about it, as Tesco would say, Every little helps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ged [001_smile.gif]

Paul K is offline Chromis
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be keeping an eye out for this, I have has similar thoughts for my 150.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-12-2010, 10:45